Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Processers in the Okanagan?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Processers in the Okanagan? Empty Processers in the Okanagan? Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:42 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Is there somewhere in the Okanagan that processes chickens?

2Processers in the Okanagan? Empty Re: Processers in the Okanagan? Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:53 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

yes - okanagan poultry processing. You can google it and find her website. She has a couple of different options. We brought our guys to her as we did not have enough for her to come to us.

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

3Processers in the Okanagan? Empty Re: Processers in the Okanagan? Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Also:

Myles & Leslie Downey
My-Les Poultry Plant
(Poultry)
2432 Stark Road
PO Box 287
Pritchard, BC V0E 2P0
250-577-3763

I've never had enough birds for the other one. I thought she had a minimum, but that's probably for her to come to me. She never offered me the option of bringing them to her.

4Processers in the Okanagan? Empty Re: Processers in the Okanagan? Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:38 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

In the spring I three cockerels that required processing, I took the birds to her place, she is way up the back of Kelowna, eastward I would say. She is a very accommodating woman and if you had enough birds, and proper water setup, they will come to your place, but I think you require about 50 or more to make that worth her while. It is a mobile plant as well as a permanent-type location. It is very nice and is government inspected. Since that time I found a processor that is closer to me, only 1 hour away, the name of that establishment is My-les poultry processors. The one in Kelowna is called Okanagan processors.

This is the gal's email address: Peggy Thompson<peggy@okpoultryprocessing.com>;

Email her. What they do with smaller numbers of birds, is that they tag the birds onto the end of a big order, or others' orders, so they are very accommodating with small numbers of birds. The government inspector is "on site" on processing day, that is such a good thing, should the bird, for whatever reason be unfit for human consumption. I say this because:

In the early summer I had three very old birds that I took to the My-les processor, in Pritchard.

When the birds were processed, one of the inspectors came out and told me that she could not release the bird to me and that it would have to be disposed of. OMG. What on earth I thought to myself and was actually terrified, until she explained affraid

She showed me the one processed bird's liver. I have no clue what a proper liver should look like. But she explained to me that the bird had some kind of liver disease. I asked her if it was something that was a contagion to my flock. She smiled and told me no, absolutely not. Many birds get an enlarged liver, for whatever the reason, old age, just something. These things are not contagious to the flock, it only meant the bird was failing. I can only presume that with a toxic liver, there is a chance that there could be toxins released in the blood stream that would not be good for human nor beast. That bird did not come home with me and I was not charged.

This is a reason why I think that it is a good idea to have government inspected birds when someone else is processing them for you. if there is something wrong, they have been inspected. Now if I was doing my own birds, I would not really care, I would eat them anyways, as so many of us fortunate ones, that can process our own birds, can do. Wish I had the guts and gumption to do this thing, but just cannot.

So there you go. You have an option, but how far is Kelowna from Beaverdell? I think a long ways? Perhaps there is some other processor in the other direction?

here also is a link to a government site that lists all kinds of critter processors, perhaps there is someone closer. Good luck and have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Here is a link to all different types of government inspected processors for poultry too

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

5Processers in the Okanagan? Empty Re: Processers in the Okanagan? Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:17 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

peggy thompson is okanagan poultry processing. You need a a minium of 150 birds for her to come to you or 4 hours minium for the inspector. You can have less but she charges you for 150 as she has to pay the inspector a 4 hour minium. She is now able to have people come to her because she has an inspector at every slaughter. I believe this is the 1st year for that. She did mention to me today that they go to rock creek and work their way back maybe once a month? But she is very nice, does a wonderful job and has lots of information. Definatly worth contacting!

Anne

6Processers in the Okanagan? Empty Re: Processers in the Okanagan? Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:29 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thank you all for your ideas. I knew you all would have good ones!
I will have to get a hold of Peggy at OKPP and see when her next run is up this way. I am happy to drive them to Kelowna too.
I only have a few to do and don`t really have the set up to heat the water properly.
Now that I know there is someone here that will do it, I may grow more of them out next year.

7Processers in the Okanagan? Empty Re: Processers in the Okanagan? Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:53 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Coopslave, that was my main quandary when we moved up here, where was I going to have the extra birds processed, and let me tell you, it was a deep one. Back on the coast we took all our Muscovy ducks and extra birds to a fellow in Langley, I loved to go to his place, such a nice fellow and such a beautiful and clean set up. It was nice.

Last spring I went on a mission to find out if there was any processors nearby to me up here. After some length I did find two. That of the Okanagan poultry processors, in Kelowna, 1.5 hours from my home and that of My-Les poultry processors in Pritchard, only 1 hour from my house. Of course, you know where I will be going henceforth, only because of the distance thing. I had gone to the one in Kelowna, but that was before I found the one in Pritchard. Both are wonderful people to deal with and oh so clean....

Boy can I ramble, rats, no clue why, but I ramble and ramble and ramble, smiling. Where was I?

Right. Peggy does do a mobile unit where she goes to others' farms. And she will accommodate someone to come to that farm, and tag the small numbers (or larger ones) onto the order that is done there. Think she does a fair amount of travelling around, so could get closer to you. How far to Kelowna from your place? I am so nosey sometimes. Well, it is not nosey, it is just a desire to know things, just me.

Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

8Processers in the Okanagan? Empty Re: Processers in the Okanagan? Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:06 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am about 45 mins to Kelowna, but with traffic or snow I say an hour. Of course to get to Kelowna proper it takes longer, especially with this summer traffic. It will be nice when everyone goes home! (well, nicer for me anyways Very Happy )

9Processers in the Okanagan? Empty Re: Processers in the Okanagan? Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:41 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh coopslave you and me both! Counting down to the long weekend so the tourists will heading home! I despise the summer traffic!

Anne

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum