Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Today I learned...

+7
nuthatch333
uno
Hillbilly
fuzzylittlefriend
wolfbird_94
JaerhonChanteclerEuskies
BriarwoodPoultry
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Today I learned...  Empty Today I learned... Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:30 am

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Why incubating is a hobby best done in a room with a bomb-proof floor. I have been using our hardwood floored office for incubating. Today I was candeling eggs to put into lockdown ..... you see where this is heading?

I was putting the "bad" ones in a newspaper nest ontop of a stool, and I was sitting on the floor with my head in the 'bator...

I must have nudged the stool with my knee...

And I heard the dreaded "POP" ... followed by the vile, thick and vomit-evoking odour of rotten egg. OH NO!

You guessed it.. rotten egg, nicely seeped into the cracks between hardwood floor boards. BAD BAD BAD idea. I have spent the last hour on my hands and knees, trying to scrub the rotten egg out of the floor... rotten egg on my pants, shirt, hands, knees, floor.... No What a morning!

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

2Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:53 am

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

That is really bad I fell sorry for you.

3Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 am

wolfbird_94

wolfbird_94

affraid Oh no No

http://www.wolfbirdshomestead.weebly.com

4Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Last edited by reneggaide on Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

5Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:07 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh yuck I am now glad I set up my bator in our storage room with a concrete floor and not the spare room with carpet!

Anne

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

6Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

You also unwittingly learned the most basic, but more often than not, ignored, important principal. What goes up must come down.

7Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:33 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Do you have a shop vac? I'd be adding water and immediately sucking it up, anything to dilute that intense egg stuff. Add water, suck, add water, suck. I know you don't want water on wood floors, but if you sucked it up immediately then it wouldn't have time to seep in.

I incubate in a carpeted room. I have visions of this same accident and Hubby taking a utility knife and cutting a nice, neat square out of the middle of the carpet. I set all eggs on the floor, not so far to fall that way. Good luck!

8Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:43 pm

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I have learned from hard personal experience that you need a HASMAT suit to deal with exploding eggs. You have my sympathy, I need only to recall the experience to start retching.
I now wrap suspect eggs in a sheet of paper towel, just in case.
Good luck with your floor it sounds like you have been given some good advice.

9Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:49 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oooo...that's just nasty. Not many things more revolting than rotten egg smell. silent
Hope the clean up goes well for you.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

10Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:13 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh phew. This is really making me rethink incubating in carpeted rooms. Neutral

Hope cleanup was a smell ridding success.

11Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:21 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well I think I got it all out... took a little Oxyclean and a small scrub brush to scrub in the cracks, then shoved the edge of a paper towel between the wood to soak it up! Hurray! I think we'll be moving the incubators for spring. LOL

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

12Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:31 pm

wolfbird_94

wolfbird_94

BriarwoodPoultry wrote:Well I think I got it all out... took a little Oxyclean and a small scrub brush to scrub in the cracks, then shoved the edge of a paper towel between the wood to soak it up! Hurray! I think we'll be moving the incubators for spring. LOL

agreed

http://www.wolfbirdshomestead.weebly.com

13Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Wow, I can only imagine the smell indoors. It was bad enough when I tossed a suspect duck egg into the composter ( as I was outside and the composter was right there). That egg flew back with such a velocity that it hit a tree and nearly took my head off. Oh and the smell that followed Shocked now I treat any suspect egg with respect! LOL

XOX Monika

14Today I learned...  Empty Re: Today I learned... Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:47 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

OK BP I'll share my stinky story. At least as awful as it was you were there to clean up right away.
We also incubate in a hardwood floor room.
This time however, hubby wanted to process our pumpkins. He did one, put the other one under the table in this room (last fall). I let it be as it seemed find and, well, it was his thing to deal with.
Room has been smelling funny. I figured I must have missed something cleaning up or maybe it needed cleaning as it tends to be a catch all room.
After a lovely BBQ party for our son's first b-day yesterday I came in here and saw seepage, yes...seepage from a rotting melting pumpkin.
"Oh...Honey...remember your pumpkin?"
Unfortunately the wood is wrecked in the crevices. It hasn't lifted, just visual. We may have some spare wood to fix it but that's another chore to be added to the endless list.
At least there's no funny smell anymore.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum