Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Morning massacre

+13
coopslave
CynthiaM
wolfbird_94
KathyS
Cathyjk
Skeffling Lavender Farm
dj
JaerhonChanteclerEuskies
pops coops
k.r.l
Susan
Hidden River
poplar girl
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Morning massacre Empty Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:04 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

About 6am my DH looked out the window, commented that something was chasing the sheep and then ran out gun in hand. When I went out a few minutes later it was to our pasture littered with dead lambs and ewes, bloody necks and legs, and one dead bloody dog (the neighbours). Our dogs standing back with guilty, upset looks on their faces but no blood on their white coats.

We lost 2 ewes and 4 lambs today, most of our flock. The two remaining lambs (3 months) lost their mom. I could not believe it pale

My DH said he saw the dog taking down a lamb. Not sure why the dog did it, he has seemed fine around all the animals all year as I was watching him closely expecting problems. My chickens have walked by him 100's of times. He is around as much as our dogs. But normally there is a couple gates between him and the sheep. Somehow he got in and then...6 dead!?! I am wondering if a coyote was also involved and the dog got the sent of blood and then...

So now this year we have lost a lamb (dog or coyote), a ram (dead in the centre of his pen), a duck just a few days ago and now 6 more sheep. I am quite scared as to who will be next. I am not confident with the dog gone the problem is solved.

2Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:29 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am so sorry Poplar girl that is a terrible thing to happen. I am glad your hubby got the dog and it is a shame so many were lost in the attack. Some dogs are good until things start to run then look out. It is unfortunate that your dogs were used to this other dog or they might have stepped in and saved some sheep for you.
It is sad that you are only left with the 2 lambs and no mom for them, hopefully they are old enough to care for themselves.
I always feel so bad for myself in all my issues but then I come here and see so many are dealing with different issues and I realize it is not just me. I hope we all start having better luck with our animals and start seeing the sun before the clouds.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:40 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh no Pg!! I'm so sorry! That is a devastating thing to have happen. Glad he got the dog. Hope the neighbors compensate you- not that it will make it any easier. Hugs to you, keep your babies close for the next while. Sad

4Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:46 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sorry to hear sbout your loss. It is horrible feeling to lose stock. I doubt a coyote was involved. Dogs sometimes start out just chasing and once the blood starts everything goes bad.

We had this happen to our flock once and understand how you feel. Sorry.

5Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:17 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

So very sorry to hear, our neighbours dogs killed so many birds a couple years ago, I understand what you are going through, hope it is over.

http://www.popscoops.com

6Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:27 pm

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Sorry about the loss

7Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:38 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thanks. It does help to share, especially knowing others do truely understand how horrible it is. And how bad you, as the owner feel when it happens.

I will do my best to protect what we have left. Sad

8Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:42 pm

pops coops

pops coops
Golden Member
Golden Member

You also should send the owners of the dog a bill

http://www.popscoops.com

9Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:07 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We won't be seeking anything from the owner. He is an old man, just went through cancer treatment last year and his health is not very good. The dog was terrified of him, the owner could not even catch him, so I think he was abused. That's the only reason we didn't do something about the dog earlier, felt sorry for him.

I just hope deep deep down that this was all the dog's doing and our problems will not continue. Time will tell.

10Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:13 pm

dj

poplar girl wrote:We won't be seeking anything from the owner. He is an old man, just went through cancer treatment last year and his health is not very good. The dog was terrified of him, the owner could not even catch him, so I think he was abused. That's the only reason we didn't do something about the dog earlier, felt sorry for him.

I just hope deep deep down that this was all the dog's doing and our problems will not continue. Time will tell.
This is horrible, I feel so bad for you. Hope things get better really soon.

11Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:17 pm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Oh Poplargirl I had no idea. I am so sorry. That is beyond awful. It doesn't sound like you could have done anything differently either though I am sure you have gone over it and over it in your mind. Hope that is the last of the bad luck, sorry about the other critters lost in the last while. Hope all is well now, though I know you will be extra vigilant for a while. Hugs Claire

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

12Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:19 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That is a sad story. I guess let sleeping dogs lie. Poor dog. Maybe he was hungry too. I get so angry with people who don't care for their animals properly. Bad situation all around. I know what you mean feeling sorry for the dog.

13Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:51 pm

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Honestly...you guys are making me cry Sad But healing tears I hope.

That dog liked me. He followed me everywhere. I fed him hoping it would help prevent him from being hungry and then attacking one of our animals. He would lick my hand every time. It took him six months hanging around to even let us pet him, he was so scared of people. I am just in shock it was like dr jeckle and mr Hyde.

And I will be extra careful. My lavender d'uccles were so sad today wondering why they did not get to free range (only when I am home working outside from now on). But I do feel so badly still, those animals rely on their humans for protection.

Here's hoping for things to improve!

14Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:29 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

PG, how awful. I can't imagine how hard that must have been.

Have you thought about having a llama in with the sheep? For the future. Sometimes it doesn't make much difference. We had a neighbours dog castrate one our llamas.

For now, cry and then cry some more; it does help.

15Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:05 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I don't know what else to say as the others have pretty much said it all, but I wanted to add my words of sympathy too. I just feel so sad for you and for those poor animals. Crying or Very sad

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

16Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:35 pm

wolfbird_94

wolfbird_94

I would say get a alpaca! It will chase the Dog away if it gets to close to the lambs. Sorry about your lost.

I had a nasty dog attack in Last year in may... I let my Chicks out and In a playpen [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]One of these. And my Landlords cousins dog went 3 kms to my house. Hung around there. and We were walking the horses up the driveway (A long Driveway it was) and When we got back. The dog was getting closer to my chicks and MY mom was ahead and then suddenly this dog pushed the side up and Went after them one by one... My mom ran to the dog with horse following. And Mom yelled, My dad and brother and I yelled... Than suddenly, My moms horse realized the dog was going after The horses chicks and Lifted its hoof and The dog ran away.... We chased it away. Caught all the Loose alive chicks. put all the dead in the back of the truck and was headed to the Cousins house... Got told that their dog wounldn't do that and got laughted at. I never free ranged after that again.

http://www.wolfbirdshomestead.weebly.com

17Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:37 am

dj

How many times have I heard that! "my dog would never do that" Of course it would dogs have a chase instinct . It's usually the people's dogs/kids that say my dog/kid would never do that, that do.
I'm sorry for your loss.

18Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh this is dreadful news, don't beat yourself up though, but do cry, and lean on others, as you are doing for pain relief, it does help. Yes, nice dogs can turn bad. Moreso, if there is more than one, the pack instinct, and if something starts to run, well, then the chase begins. My Sister lost one of her foals to her two most wonderful dogs, the foal ran, the dogs chased, the blood began, the dogs died. It was a sad story, even nice dogs can turn bad. Keep that chin up, and still find something to have a great day, CynthiaM.

19Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:16 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Very sorry to hear about this terrible event. I hope getting the dog has solved your problems.

20Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:22 am

silkiebantam

silkiebantam
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh, Poplar Girl! I am so sorry to hear about this. It would be a hard thing to go through, for sure. Hugs to you!

http://klewnufarms.blogspot.com/

21Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:45 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh no, how devastating! I’m so sorry that happened poplar girl. Sad

22Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:12 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

so sorry to hear of this too, it must seem like it just couldn't get any worse at the time...
We feel so responsible for our livestock but sometimes there is just nothing you could have done to prevent stuff that happens, very discouraging for sure.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

23Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

I'm so sorry to hear this. It comes right after me coming in from feeding and finding that one of our chickens had found it's way into the backyard - a death sentence. One more is missing so I think a couple of them got in the yard. Our dog will not touch them in their space, but his space is another ball game.

I hope that it is the end of the problems though..,.

24Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:15 am

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Duke our beautiful ram is dead in his pasture this morning. Obviously my worst fears were correct, it has to be coyotes. I found him when I went out to let the chickens out. We still need to remove the body.

We were planning to sell the remainder of our sheep. We had decided we are just not able to care for them properly with the loses we have had. Looks like we will not have any left to sell at this rate.

I feel sick. We have good fence but obviously not coyote proof. Our LGD are obviously useless. Again, out there after the fact looking guilty wondering what happened (no blood on them, not touching the dead animal). Electric net fence is the ONLY way to go to protect sheep around here I think.

25Morning massacre Empty Re: Morning massacre Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:35 am

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Skeffling Lavender Farm

Oh I am so so sorry Poplar girl. That is awful, worse than you thought. I imagine you need a big hug, here's one ((((Hug))))

http://www.easychickenry.com/articles-by-skeffling-lavender-farm

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum