Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Maple Ridge Poultry Show

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Maple Ridge Poultry Show Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:31 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well I just came back from judging the Maple Ridge Poultry Show hosted by the Fraser Valley Poultry Club in conjunction with the fair. Had a great time and judged some really good birds. The show wasn't huge as is to be expected at this time of the year but some quality birds were exhibited. Some of the highlights inclued great classes of Bantam Cornish with the breed and class champion going to a junior as well a great class of Polish with one particularly good male. Also as usual a strong class of bantam Cochins but many had condition issues due to the time of year. There was a really nice Black Rosecomb Cock who had great size- no to big but was a little light in eye, even so he was in good condition and went on to be Champion Bantam, with Res. Champion Bantam going to a black Cochin hen. In the waterfowl there were a couple really good grey Call ducks in particular a little female with great type and lovely heart shaped body, she went on to be champion Waterfowl.
In Large Fowl there were some pretty good Chantecleurs more so in white and one female that would have been my 3rd best Large Fowl over all. There were also some good Light Brown Leghorns with one female who had great tpye and a nice body but lacked a little in her earlobes and the sharpness of her hackle color. The best class was likely the Australorps with a cockerel who was own and I believe bred by a junior that I placed Champion Large Fowl and Show Champion overall. The Res. Champion Large fowl was a Australorp pullet who went on to be Res. Show Champion.
A good show overall and as always a great job done by the Fraser Valley Club. Thanks to them for taking time out of their summers to put our exhibition poultry in it's best light.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

2Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Re: Maple Ridge Poultry Show Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:04 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That’s great Heather. Smile Sounds like a good time for all.

I’ve always wondered what happens when a person brings a breed of bird that no one else has brought to the show. Does it still get judged? Or are you only allowed to enter certain breeds at certain shows?

3Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Re: Maple Ridge Poultry Show Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:21 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Flicker Chick - If it is a APA ABA reconized breed even it,s the only one it still gets judged for it's breed as well as any other awards. Actually there was only the one Rosecomb entered and it went on to be Champion Bantam.and I considered it for Show Champion, so being the only one does not preclude you from the top awards as each bird is judged on it's breed merits or lack there of.
Now if you bring a breed or variety that is not reconzied it can only compete within it's variety or breed but can go no further. But in order to get a breed or variety reconzied part of the process is to show that they have been entered and shows and examined by licensed judges at sanctioned shows. Hope this answers your question.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

4Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Re: Maple Ridge Poultry Show Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:45 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

How nice, Heather, a beautiful place to go to, we lived about 10 minutes from that fairground, back in our old life. There would have been quite a few people from the poultry club there I would imagine. Sounds like there was some very nice displays of birds. Wish I could have gone back for the show, but time didn't allow. My oldest gal was eventing with her horses there. I am sure that she will be coming back to tell me of all the nice birds that she saw, she likes to look at chickens....have a wonderful and awesome day, CynthiaM.

5Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Re: Maple Ridge Poultry Show Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:08 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great to hear the show had a good turnout! Does anyone have any pictures of the show and the birds?

6Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Re: Maple Ridge Poultry Show Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:22 pm

cbotkin

cbotkin

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your kind words Heather. As anyone involved in the coordination of putting on a show can atest to, it is a lot of work. It was a great show, at a really, really nice little country fair in a beautiful setting. I will be passing on the comments to the club and the show committee for all their hard work.

I think the highlight of the weekend was that the show champion belonged to a one of our club's junior directors. He raised that bird late last year and it turned out excellent. It was the reserve large fowl at our recent Lawn Show as well.

Thanks again to Heather who did a great job judging the show! Everyone really appreciated the comments on the coop cards and the constant learning that she enabled everyone to experience on Saturday, especially the juniors and their 4-H project birds.

There will be a show report and pictures up on our website, but it won't be for a couple of weeks until we are done with Agrifair this weekend and Chilliwack next weekend. The next website update will be a big one with all three fairs hosting sanctioned shows. Again, the club website is [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Thanks again to all involved for making the weekend another successful show,
Clayton

http://www.cbotkin.ca

7Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Re: Maple Ridge Poultry Show Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:16 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^^ Yes it does. Thanks Heather.

Looking forward to the picture’s Clayton. Smile

8Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Re: Maple Ridge Poultry Show Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:04 pm

cbotkin

cbotkin

Hi all,

I have posted a few pictures from the MR-PM CountryFest on our website at the link below. There will be a few more pictures to come as they are submitted.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Clayton

http://www.cbotkin.ca

9Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Re: Maple Ridge Poultry Show Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:31 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great pictures! Looks like a few breeds cleaned out.

10Maple Ridge Poultry Show Empty Re: Maple Ridge Poultry Show Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:32 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I'd say! Thanks for sharing pics Clayton. Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum