Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Incubator Help

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Incubator Help Empty Incubator Help Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:27 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

So I ordered the hovabator genesis that has a preset temperature for chicken eggs, and fan. I also purchased the auto turner and a second therometer ( digital)that also measured humidity.

I set everything up and added water to the center tray as the instructions recommended but according to the digital read the humidity was only about 40%. I added water to the next outer tray and it came up to 55%.

I started with 20 eggs from my mille fleur d'uccles. I had only one clear eggs and 4 quitters. 15 eggs made it to lock down. The temperature seemed to be consistent on both thermometers and the humidity was 50 to 55% ( I did have to go away a couple days and it dropped to 25% my bad)

So this is where things started to go south. On the evening of day 18 I went to go take the eggs out of the turner and one had pipped already. I took everything out and raised humidity to 68%. That egg hatched the following evening and 2 more had pipped. Another one hatched the next morning and one more the next day. Another one had pipped but never hatched. And then they were done 3 of 15!. The other issue was the first chick was all sticky. I realized after about 6 hours that it was dry but not fluffy. They all ended up being like this. All three have done well but I was pretty disapointed with the hatch. I know I saw movemnet in at least 10 of the 15 at some point.

So I guess my questions are
- was my humidity too high during incubation? I had read that this could cause the sticky chicks?
-The chicks hatching early? Is this a banty thing? Everyone hatched before day 21. They were stored in a cool room before going into incubator and temp seemed consistent.
-should I have just followed the incubators instructions for adding water despite the digital thermomter?

My hens have finally stopped brooding and I am hoping they starting laying again soon so I can have another go! Thanks for any advice!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

2Incubator Help Empty Re: Incubator Help Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:20 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would say yes your humidity was much too high. I aim for 40% but let it drop down before adding more water, especially if it is humid outside.
Them hatching early would make me think the temperature was too high, could be the eggs were sat on before setting them as well so the embryo had already started to develop? Not sure if that was possible?
I bump my humidity up to 55-60% for hatching and seem have had good results.
One thing I always do if a hatch does not go as planned is crack the non hatchers open after day 23 and see how formed they were, weather they had pipped internally, and if there are any signs of problems. That will give you a better idea for the next hatch what you need to adjust.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum