Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Almost chocolate brown ducks

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Almost chocolate brown ducks Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:52 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

When I get a chance I will post some pictures.

I had this rescue duck in with the black runner drake. The rescue duck was thought to be a cayuga. I wouldn't know but it is another black duck. Anyway, three of the ducklings are this amazing almost chocolate brown. Very pretty.

Has anyone had experience with a something like this?

Last edited by Cathyjk on Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:29 am; edited 2 times in total

2Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:17 pm

harrop'shens

harrop'shens

Oooooh! I can't wait to see pictures!

3Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:24 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ Me too. They sound so lovely. Pics, pics! LoL

4Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:06 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Don't know how well the color will show up.. .they are the two ducks in the front

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

5Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:09 pm

What a beautiful range of colours!! And yes, that chocolate looks positively delicious! Razz

I like those ducks. What do you do with them? Are they pets? Meat? Bug control? I like Muscovies for their colourful feathers and bug control. I have yet to bring myself to eat one though I hear they're wonderful.

6Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:58 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The buff ducks are mostly for eggs as are the runners. We did eat a few of the buff ducks last year, really good but not a lot of meat. Good for one meal.

7Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:53 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mmm, chocolate. Razz They are very nice.

8Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:32 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I put my khaki drake with my extra cayuga hen before I rehomed him and collected a couple eggs. Half the babies were black like cayugas ( a bit more yellow to the feathers) and the other half were brown with almost black bill and feet. The brown are just getting feathers on their chest now and they are a beautiful dark chocolate brown without the feather markings (Lacing/pencilling???) of the khakis. I can't wait til they feather out completely so I can see what they look like. It's so exciting waiting to see what the babies will look like at hatching and then waiting for them to feather so we can see how pretty they look Very Happy

Can you tell if they're male or female yet Cathy? Hopefully they'll lay you some beautifully coloured eggs Very Happy

9Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:14 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

No idea what the sex of them is yet. I'm pretty pathetic when it comes to figuring it out... I can't do the voice sexing and I sure can't vent sex. Will have to wait for the curled tail!!!!

10Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:27 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey Cathy, check this link out for identifying the different sounds that each sex make at approx. 10 weeks of age: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

11Almost chocolate brown ducks Empty Re: Almost chocolate brown ducks Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:03 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Excellent!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum