Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Incubator Anyone?

+2
Echo 1
bigrock
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Incubator Anyone? Empty Incubator Anyone? Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:47 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am wondering now that incubator times are over (I think) and people are thinking about what they may change for next year.... Does anyone have a good incubator that they are considering selling?
I am after either a Marsh Rol-X, or Brinsea 40.. unless there are others out there that I really aught to be considering..
thanks

2Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:34 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My daughter just bout a second hand Brinsea 20. It is the very basic model nothing fancy, no humidity pump or auto turn but it is a magic hatching machine! We have had a few challenges keeping the humidity up but that has not stopped the hatch a thon. We have 2 wonderful broodies at the moment so as soon as the chicks are dried off a bit and taking their first steps we put them under the broodies. It's so cute to go out to the coop with a little yellow fluff ball and have the momma hen cluck softly and stand up a little to accept the new chick under her feathers

3Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:16 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

we will keep our eyes open for some bargains for sure. just missed a marsh rol-x in Vernon to boot!

4Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:25 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Brinseas are awesome. I can't recommend them highly enough!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

5Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:06 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

With the new varieties of Orpingtons that chicken crazy daughter is bringing home from her tour of Alberta we are going to need to up grade the size of our incubator!  If possible we will stick with Brinsea. As for incubating being over.... not at our house, not yet! I really am hoping that the eggs currently incubating are the last ones for this year. One more thing, while daughter is away I have discovered just how much work it is to care for 80 birds. Just keeping the water cool and fresh in this 36 degree weather.......

6Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:44 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

The Brinsea 40 Adv we bought this year has been a disaster. It worked fine for the first hatch, but after that only function that worked was the temperature. The distributor here in BC does not do repairs or supply parts so the unit must be shipped to Florida for warranty service. There has been a few comments on another forum about Brinsea problems.

7Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:19 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I hear a lot of complaining about R-Com, considering especially how few people have them.

I think you'll hear a number of complaints about any brand, especially when there are enough of them out there.

I have two brinsea incubators (40 and 190) and three eco glows and I love them. No problems!

8Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:36 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

rosewood wrote:The Brinsea 40 Adv we bought this year has been a disaster.  It worked fine for the first hatch, but after that only function that worked was the temperature.  The distributor here in BC does not do repairs or supply parts so the unit must be shipped to Florida for warranty service.  There has been a few comments on another forum about Brinsea problems.

I'm sorry to hear that! I purchased the same model from the same distributor this year and I am very pleased with it. It would have been very disappointing to have your experience for sure!

9Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:48 am

rosewood

rosewood
Golden Member
Golden Member

Our lastest hatch was purchased turkey eggs with a few of our own chicken eggs to fill the incubator. One purchased turkey and 2 chicks hatched. I'm going to ask to return the incubator and get our money returned.

10Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:02 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Did you check the temperature with a spot check thermometer? Regardless of the brand, you should always double check with another thermometer.

11Incubator Anyone? Empty Re: Incubator Anyone? Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:26 pm

Michelle S

I have used a brinsea octagon 40 for the last 2 years and just recently purchased a used marsh rollX. The brinsea was disaster the first 2 hatches until I spent many hours and dollars with brinsea florida for a replacement. The new one that I have works much better and very simple to run. But the rollX knocks the socks off of that Brinsea! It's not as easy to set humidity but can make more precise changes if you require that. I am working with Buff Chanteclers and Buckeyes- My hatch rate with buckeyes is about the same in both machines but I have doubled the chant hatch rate with the rollX.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum