Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Muscovy egg fertility ?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Muscovy egg fertility ? Empty Muscovy egg fertility ? Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:27 pm

I have a friend who's been selling "fertile " eggs and now it seems that her drake is shooting blanks ? Is there a time in the whole breeding process where the hens go through a dry period ? She has never had this happen and I've borrowed her my Drake that I raised from one of her ducklings that came from her stock to see if it's her drake ? We have both tried to find some info online but it seems that we're not finding any usefull info in regards to this .Anyone out there have had this happen to them ??

2Muscovy egg fertility ? Empty Re: Muscovy egg fertility ? Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:41 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wouldnt say the hens go through a dry period but they would be picky on drakes. Has she seen the drake actually perform? Some hens will not let a drake breed them, other things I have read said they can actually expell the semen from a drake they did not wish to mate with? Could be an issue.
And I know muscovies do not require water to breed but I find my fertility increases a lot when they have a kiddie pool to swim and breed in.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Muscovy egg fertility ? Empty Re: Muscovy egg fertility ? Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

There are two drakes that are with the hens and my drake is a offspring from one of them ? they had no problems last year ?? Right now my drake is in with them and I'm being told he's a real ladys man ?? so maybe they will accept a more passive partner ?? sounds like the other two males were a bit aggresive ? O guess we'll see in a few week/months if it helped

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum