Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Goat Buck with issues?

+2
chickencrazygirl
DCChick
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Goat Buck with issues? Empty Goat Buck with issues? Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:38 am

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, the time has come that I should have had a some goat kids. My buck, young as he is,was with groupings of girls from October to late November. Then just for good measure I put I'm in with the whole herd until mid January.

He is now about a year and a half old so was about ten months last October when he started work.

I have not one single kid to show for it. So could the problem be that he was too young, does he not know what to do or is he impotent?

Watch for my post for another, older proven buck coming soon. . .

2Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:35 pm

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Did you flush your girls before you put him in with them.
Also if he had the crap beaten out of him by the girls enough times( unless they were in full heat) he may have been too afraid to go near them when he could have done his job.

http://www.wovenndreamscanada.com

3Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:36 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Check his testicles, he couldn't have frozen the sack could he?  

If there are scabs on there, plus shriveled up and smaller than normal. it might have happened?

But keeping the buck apart, then take the does to him and breed really does make sure you have dates written down etc.   He could be infertile.

Do you have room for another buck?   Only hand breed, instead of pasture breeding.  Good Luck.

4Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:51 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I wasn't purposefully flushing the does, they were having grain one night and alfalfa hay the next night along with grass hay regularly.

Buckshot (the buck) has what appear to me to be normal testicles. They don't look scabby, shriveled or unusually small to me.

I did start out putting groups of five does that appeared to me to be in heat in with him and then afterward so put him in with the group hoping he would maybe get any he had missed.

My plan for this fall is to use him first with just my yearlings and get an older guy to use with the older girls. Then I want to put the older buck in with the younger girls in case Buckshot didn't breed them.

But, can I house two bucks together when? I realize they may not get along when breeding season is going and they are in rut, but what about the rest of the year?

5Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:51 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Once Bucks have been used, you really can't keep them together anymore, breeding season or not.

6Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:56 pm

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Lady leghorn why not??
I have kept a ram with my buck and I am getting a second buck very soon. The 2 bucks will be living together once the new one is out of quarantine.

7Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:07 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Rams and Buck goats are two different animals completely.   2  Breeding bucks definitely will fight.   You can only try?  

But be prepared with another pen.

8Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:30 pm

Grandma Art

Grandma Art

I had two bucks together for a long time. They would bunt heads and wrestle around, but no one ever got really hurt.

http://www.sheltiesalberta.com

9Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:53 pm

chickencrazygirl

chickencrazygirl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

As long as it is a boy pen I don't think it should be a problem. Can't be any worse than two castrated males at the fence eyeing up the buck wanting to pick a fight

10Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:04 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I have kept two experienced boys together as well. They were bestest buddies. Like many men, I think they got together and discussed their conquests over a beer or two.

11Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:44 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We regularly use a young buck, 6 to 8 months old.  Usually everyone is bred within the first 2 weeks, because they kid one right after the other. Last year we had an accidental breeding from a buck that was only 2 or 3 months old at the time. I would say your buck is probably a dud.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

12Goat Buck with issues? Empty Re: Goat Buck with issues? Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:30 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I suspect he is a dud too. Which is a shame because he is a very sweet guy.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum