Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vaccinating older birds for Marek's

+2
Hidden River
ChicoryFarm
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:38 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am going to be vaccinating a number of day olds next week for Marek's and am planning to include a 3 week old and some 8.5 and 11.5 week olds who have never been vaccinated for it. Does vaccinating at older ages (not day olds) for Marek's pose a problem?

Thanks in advance.

2Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:59 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I dont think it causes any problems but if they have been exposed to it already it will not protect them.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:12 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Got it. Thanks Jayme.

Smile

4Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:10 pm

Dan Smith

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Where did you get the vaccine? I tried to get it from the Poultry vet in Airdrie Alberta and they told me that they are not set up to get it because it has to be stored in nitrogen. They didn't give me any suggestions in fact all they wanted to do was to suck my wallet dry because before they came out and told me that they couldn't help the vet told me to call the office and book a consultation to discuss my poultry needs and I told them that I know what I want and all I want is to buy the vaccine. Basically they told me to bite the wall. They won't be getting any of my business.

5Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:12 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Well that sucks Dan that they treated you that way.
Contact the Canadian Poultry Centre in Abbostford (I think that is what it is called). They have the injectable Mareks vaccine there and the ILT vaccine. Make sure you tell them to send the instructions because my bottle I got did not have instructions for diluting, so was rather confusing until I found them on the net.

6Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:28 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I sent you an email Dan!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

7Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:30 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here's their website: http://www.canadianpoultry.ca/

They usually send everything by greyhound packed with an ice pack. Any questions you have about how to administer, etc. has to be answered by the vet and the vet will return your call. I've spoke with Dr. Haq a couple of times and received great service from him. Clarify that you're a backyard breeder and not commercial.

BTW, I learned from the vet himself that if you don't have diluent for the Marek's then use distilled water, found in drug stores. The vaccination itself is a dry wafer and if you cut it into 1/4's in the vial and use a 1/4 at a time, you can keep the remainder for future chicks and use distilled water each time.

Last edited by ChicoryFarm on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Included Dr. Haq's name)

8Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:58 pm

Giddyup

Giddyup

Good to know. We just lost a fabulous rooster to what is strongly suspected to have been visceral mareks. The vet advised that they have seen a lot of late onset mareks, meaning deaths in birds around one year of age.

9Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:31 am

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I also just lost my 1 year old BLRW rooster to Mareks (my avatar). I have read so much stuff now I am thoroughly confused! I would like to vaccinate every bird I have, older ones, chicks etc. I understand that if they have been in contact with Mareks then the vaccine won't help, does this mean because they already have a natural immunity, but that vaccinating them will not hurt either? I also read if your birds breath they have been exposed and obviously mine have been in direct contact with my roo. Also, if I do vaccinate do I have to do a no birds in or out? If I lost this 1 bird am I compromising other people's flocks now if 1 of my birds joins their flock? So many questions....

Monika

10Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:45 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I guess the only way to be 100% sure you are not comprimising other flocks is to sell day old vaccinated chicks and eggs.
But that being said the fact that a lot of flocks have already been exposed or experienced Marek's I would think as long as you are up front about the situation most people will be fine with it.
Vaccinating older chicks that have already been in contact with Marek's does not work because Marek's is like a cancer, once they have it they have it, just sits differently with each chicken and flares up when it sees fit. They do not develop in my opinion a natural immuity, some may disagree, but each chicken reacts differently to the disease and sometimes it just doesnt flare up.
If you were concerned I see no reason to not vaccinate everyone, and then continue a program for all your day old chicks.
As far as quarantine goes the vet I talked to said no you dont need to quarantine as it is a non shedding vaccine.

11Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Empty Re: Vaccinating older birds for Marek's Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:55 am

Island Girl

Island Girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Thank you so much Jayme, I am definitely leaning towards just going ahead and vaccinating the whole flock including the ones I just hatched (still in the house), I will check with my vet today and see if I can get the vaccine through him and if not I will call the Animal Health Center in Abottsford unless someone else has another source they care to share Smile

Monika

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum