Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

This spring morning.

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1This spring morning. Empty This spring morning. Tue May 14, 2013 8:25 am

This morning was hectic. We just couldn't seem to get going and there seemed to be so much that needed to be done, though none more than usual. Finally at work with a chance to sit down, it occurred to me: it took longer because I stood admiring the views.

The wind startled me 10 minutes before the alarm had planned to bring me out of my not-so-deep sleep. I laid in bed for a few minutes listening to the sound, trying to discern if there was a tornado out there or if it was just the way the wind was catching the tin roofing. Eventually, my paranoia bid me take a look and I got up anyway.

Spring brings Saskatchewan's motto, "Land of the living skies", to the forefront, and sets the pace for the rest of the warmer season. The blue becomes an epic tropical sea, cleaned by the wind and kept blue by the long days of sun. The clouds are magnificent when they form, large and billowing white, or expansive and dark beneath. Cumulonimbus are my favorite, next the the foreboding mammatus clouds that precede the rolling and twisting clouds that form tornados. You could hide a city in those clouds, so large and alive that you would be certain there had to be an entire universe enveloped in there.

I did take extra time this morning, and it was worth it. Hearing Walter bawling when he woke to find Mom missing, seeing Estelle run, also bawling, to his rescue, bunting anything with her head that may get in her way. One momma rabbit happily hopped from her nest to have some fresh water and to check if there were any surprises in her feed dish. A moving mass of pulled fur tells me there is, indeed, something alive under there, but I don't know how many. I do know, however, that the little one that must of surprised her hasn't been kicked out of the nest.

Yesterday, I found a new born rabbit laid on the wire floor, just outside the nest. I picked it up to remove it from the cage, and the warmth of my hands must of roused it from near death, as it gasped and began moving, despite being so incredibly cold. I all but ran to Moose, little kit closed up in my hands while exhaled warm air onto it to keep it going. "Put it in the nest," he said, "all we can do is give it that chance." So I did. And it remains there.

Even the birds greeted me, this new group friendlier than any other I've brooded before, and the owl-looking easter egger warming up to the environment. The new, royal purple guineas trilled at my arrival, but didn't run away, and the ducks quacked in their pen and watched me carefully, cautiously.

All I could do was breathe. There's something about it. I stepped out of the coop and approached the car for the morning ride into work. A garden is supposed to be going there, the kennel will go there, and soon, the former landlord's stuff won't be there. There will be squash there, and peas there, maybe some rhubarb there. And one day, one day, I will work here. I will stay here, and cook here, and make it because here, here is now, and real, and a malleable truth. And I am so deeply in love with all of it, with Moose, and with these living skies, that I am home.

2This spring morning. Empty Re: This spring morning. Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beautifully put Sweetened.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3This spring morning. Empty Re: This spring morning. Tue May 14, 2013 1:16 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ahhh, home ownership! So much more than just a piece of paper with your name!

4This spring morning. Empty Re: This spring morning. Wed May 15, 2013 9:15 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Home is where the heart is... Very Happy

5This spring morning. Empty Re: This spring morning. Wed May 15, 2013 6:43 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

One day, when you are home, in your bliss, with rabbits kits in your pocket and goat milk on your shirt, can I stop in for coffee? We could look at that sky and say nothing at all. I would love to share a little of this, the way you describe it, a taste that fills the soul.

6This spring morning. Empty Re: This spring morning. Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

And you write, and you write and you write...write your book, share your blessing of writing talent. You have choices of words that take us right by your side, looking at your Saskatchewan morning skies. Thank you for the little walk through your life. I have shivers and I have teary eyes, as I imagine things you have shown me. Now, soon, I too, will go and kiss my world good morning. Not as many critters as you, but I have newborns too, of the fowl world, my first broody mamma hatched out 9 little ones of 12, this will be my first kiss of the day. Have a beautiful day, to us all, CynthiaM.

7This spring morning. Empty Re: This spring morning. Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 am

uno wrote:One day, when you are home, in your bliss, with rabbits kits in your pocket and goat milk on your shirt, can I stop in for coffee? We could look at that sky and say nothing at all. I would love to share a little of this, the way you describe it, a taste that fills the soul.

I'd love you to stop in for coffee, any time. We can pull the couch onto the deck and sit with our bare feet pointing out to the field. And we can say nothing, nothing at all.

8This spring morning. Empty Re: This spring morning. Fri May 17, 2013 6:13 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:
I'd love you to stop in for coffee, any time. We can pull the couch onto the deck and sit with our bare feet pointing out to the field. And we can say nothing, nothing at all.

If I am of the same personality person, I could easily do that. There is nothing wrong with just sitting, listening, looking, enjoying. I think too many people talk just cause they think there should be no dead air space. Nothing wrong with that. Thank my lucky stars I do have some people in my life that when we are together, it is nothing to just look, take a gander at things, and say nothing for short periods of time. I like that....useless, frivvle talking is useless to me. Say important and interesting stuff and I am all ears, otherwise, shut up Razz . This was a beautiful picture you conjured up Sweetened. Can I come too and sit on that couch on your deck with you and Uno, our bare feet pointing out to the field? And say nothing, nothing at all? Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

9This spring morning. Empty Re: This spring morning. Fri May 17, 2013 9:00 am

CynthiaM wrote:Can I come too and sit on that couch on your deck with you and Uno, our bare feet pointing out to the field? And say nothing, nothing at all? Have a most beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Coffee or tea, Miss Cynthia?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum