Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

APA 2010 Standard of Perfection

+5
Blue Hill Farm
Chantecler_eh?
Susan
Hidden River
cbotkin
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:02 am

cbotkin

cbotkin

Hi all,

Our Standards are here! The pre-ordered books shipped out this afternoon. We had to increase the price by $2.00 to cover the cost of freight, which is at least $11.00 each one. I can ship two for $14.00, crazy, but that is cubing for you. Anyways, if you want more than one copy, contact me, DO NOT order it online or you will pay 2 freight charges. I am happy to only charge you the $14.00 in freight for 2 copies.

The price is now $70.00 even per book ($60.00 for the book and $10.00 Freight(Yes, we do not charge you the full freight cost)). It is a GREAT BUY for all of us birder's. I am really excited to see the guinea fowl pages and the other new varieties.

If you contacted me earlier regarding a copy and have not yet paid, no worries, I will honour the previous prices for you as you were committed before they arrived and had to wait and the FVPFA Member price is still in effect for now.

Feel free to contact me with any questions, I am happy to help.

Clayton

Last edited by cbotkin on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updated information)

http://www.cbotkin.ca

2APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:59 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

My SOP arrived today, thank you Clayton. I havent gotten it home yet but will be busy reading it later tonight. What a Face

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

3APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Got mine today too!

4APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:50 pm

Chantecler_eh?

Chantecler_eh?

Just got mine. Now to absorb it. Thanks Clayton.

http://feathers-farm.webs.com

5APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty APA Standard Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:14 am

Hey Clayton, just saw this post.

Do you have more Standards available?

Don't think I'd need it shipped, I'll just get one at the upcoming Show!

Thanks in advance, J

6APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:04 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

^ I'm wondering too. Smile And are they colour editions?

7APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:03 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mine is the 2010 Standard Of Perfection, it is in color, hard cover, very nicely done. Well worth the money for reference. I still need to read a lot of it, some of it is confusing for the general person I am, but the more you read and learn the more it would make sense.
What I would like to see is actual bird pictures though so you can have a better idea of real life looks instead of illistrated looks.

8APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:52 pm

Yes Hidden that's an issue that some people may not realize. The book describes the standard attributes in detail, but the pictures are artist's renderings (Look at DianeJackey.com for her work) and it's not what everyone wants. I personally like the written description, as I imagine the variety of birds and lighting and photographer's talents and a whole lot of other stuff would make for a very different book if it were photos.

I know CynthiaM was somewhat taken aback and, for a while, disappointed when she saw her new book. Not sure if she's found it's usefulness yet, or how she's liking it now that she's had it for a while.

Also, I'm not a printer, but I do believe the process for printing high resolution photos as compared to graphics would make the book prohibitively expensive. Anyone know??

9APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:20 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

farmchiq wrote:Yes Hidden that's an issue that some people may not realize. The book describes the standard attributes in detail, but the pictures are artist's renderings (Look at DianeJackey.com for her work) and it's not what everyone wants. I personally like the written description, as I imagine the variety of birds and lighting and photographer's talents and a whole lot of other stuff would make for a very different book if it were photos.

I know CynthiaM was somewhat taken aback and, for a while, disappointed when she saw her new book. Not sure if she's found it's usefulness yet, or how she's liking it now that she's had it for a while.

Also, I'm not a printer, but I do believe the process for printing high resolution photos as compared to graphics would make the book prohibitively expensive. Anyone know??

I completely agree. The book does outline DQ's and good points and that is the basic for any breeding really. The pictures that are posted of show winners that Clayton puts up or anyone else for that matter are just so much easier to see what a good bird looks like.
I completely understand why the did the book the way they did, gives you the understanding for sure, the more I read it the more useful it will become.

10APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:32 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good to know all the details, thanks guys.

A good picture can be worth a thousand words as the saying goes, but would no doubt increase the cost immensely.

11APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:47 am

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

JaerhonChanteclerEuskies

Too bad I got the book from another source for ten dolars more.

12APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:00 am

samwise

samwise

Need an SOP, Clayton. Where do I go? Thanks for your help.

13APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:40 am

Giddyup

Giddyup

I can deal with the illustrations but what's disappointing is not having one for every breed. No Saxony pics and a few others.

14APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:31 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is a link to his website page with the SOP.
http://www.cbotkin.ca/Online_Store/default.html

15APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:16 pm

samwise

samwise

Thanks Hidden.

16APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:21 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What do you mean JCE?

17APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Empty Re: APA 2010 Standard of Perfection Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:48 am

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Giddyup
It would be nice to have pictures for every breed but there is no way that the APA could afford to do that as artist have to be paid and it is not inexpensive. Most of the breeds you see in the color pictures are sponsored. The cost to sponsor a breed or variety of your choice is $200.00 dollars, I believe. With that $200.00 you get the artists orginial which is a good size. Once your breed is done by the artist it will be included in the next printing of SOP.
I sponsored the Blue Old English Bantam Game both male and female in memory of my mentor Charlie Sjorgren. I couldn't think of a better way to recongize a life time of devotion to the hobby of exhibition poultry and was thrilled with both of my orginials and to see them in this newest edition of the SOP.
Publishing a book like the costs much more money than any of us can imagine and because I am a director with the club I personally know how much it costs and there is absolutely no way we could also do the color images of each breed without doing it the way it is done now as this is a club that is dependent on membership funds for one thing.
So I say join the APA and support them with your membership dollars as it benefits everyone in the hobby by use being able to put out such a fine book.
By the way the APA has put out a limited edition of the new standard. Numbers 1-10 which are signed by the board of directors etc. will be going up for auction very soon and will be sought after, I can guaranette. Numbers 11 on will be 150.00 each and all come in a special case etc. I have reserved number 11 for myself as I have been a director for our number 11 district for many years. These are very special books and will be collector items, so stay tuned as they will make very special gifts. You can put your name on the pre-order list for this edition by contacting the APA. I have seen and handled one and they are truely beautiful and mine will be one that I will always treasure.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum