Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help.....we have LICE!

+10
Prairie Chick
Pollywog
lanaire-ranching
wyandotte
CynthiaM
fuzzylittlefriend
Fowler
DCChick
authenticfarm
Echo 1
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Help.....we have LICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:58 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

"The initial active ingredient was the first synthetic pyrethroid, allethrin. Raid derivatives aimed at particular invertebrate species can contain other active agents such as the more toxic cyfluthrin, another synthetic pyrethroid. Currently Raid uses, Tetramethrin, Cypermethrin and Imiprothrin to kill insects. Raid Flying Insect Killer, a spray, uses Prallethrin and D-Phenothrin."

27Help.....we have LICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:15 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I remember a student who told me a story. Apparently her house was infested with bedbugs. Her dad tried to kill them off by spraying many cans of raid in the house, on the beds, in the cracks and finally drove his family out with the smell. They had to sleep at a friends house. Mom was pregnant at the time....

I really hope she thought the horror on my face as she told the story was because I was disgusted with the bedbugs.

28Help.....we have LICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:48 pm

Cathyjk

Cathyjk
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ipf wrote:Is this the paper you're referring to, Cathy? It looks really good.
http://anrcatalog.ucdavis.edu/pdf/8162.pdf

No reference to withdrawal time or Eprinex, though.
There's a difference between precautionary advice and research results; I would love to see the latter on this subject.
YES YES YES.. that's the one.. I could make the link go right to the article and yes, no reference to withdrawal but an excellent article nonetheless.

29Help.....we have LICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:32 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/51224798_Pharmacokinetics_of_veterinary_drugs_in_laying_hens_and_residues_in_eggs_a_review_of_the_literature

the above study talks about Ivermectin in one of the data sheets...lots of good information in this study

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/The+effect+of+ivermectin+pour-on+administration+against+natural...-a0263659462

the above is a study on the efficacy of Eprinomectin

UNITED STATES
National Residue Program for
Meat, Poultry, and Egg Products-     this study breaks the four groups of major medications into 4 groups based on withdrawal times  
4 = withdrawal time is greater than 14 days 3 = withdrawal time is between 8 and 14 days 2 = withdrawal time is between 1 and 7 days 1 = there is a zero-day withdrawal time

then it lists Eprinomectin as a level 2-withdrawal between 1-7 days

so the above studies are a good start...i am about half way through my documents.....

T

30Help.....we have LICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ivermectin is not the same as eprinomectin.

The second paper you cite is about the efficacy of ivermectin, not eprinomectin. (It mentions eprinomectin, but does not discuss it, in one paragraph, and that was in connection with beef cattle).

I've looked at the 2013 "National Residue Program for Meat, Poultry, and Egg Products" and it contains a single reference to eprinomectin, in a list of "other veterinary drugs". If you looked in an earlier version, could you let us know which year? Or better yet post the link?

In none of these do I see a withdrawal time. I'm not saying there shouldn't be one, just that as yet I've seen no science-based recommendation.

31Help.....we have LICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:32 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

ipf:
I do understand that Ivermectin and Eprinomectin are not the same thing....however they are still in the family of Avermectins..and given the information out there is scant to non existent...I am using what I find that is similar

I was under the impression that pour on Ivermectin was Eprinomectin, and I now get that that is not the case

The third paper was from 2102..there was no link, as it was a PDF file i have...
will keep looking
People can do what they wish to do with regards to withdrawal....but need to understand most of what is passed around is heresay. I am looking for the science...so far i have found 7 days and that is what i will use, until someone else can come up with a study that shows otherwise... Smile

32Help.....we have LICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:41 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes, they're in the same family of compounds, but for on-label use (i.e. beef cattle) they have different withdrawal times, so there's no reason to think that they'd have the same withdrawal times for poultry.
I absolutely agree about the hearsay part, which is why I'm following this with such interest - if there is published info on withdrawal times for Eprinex, I'd really like to see it.

33Help.....we have LICE! - Page 2 Empty Re: Help.....we have LICE! Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:16 pm

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum