Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Delicious Silkie Meal. (Many pictures!)

+7
Sebas49
appway
Fowler
toybarons
lady leghorn
authenticfarm
Schipperkesue
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Delicious Silkie Meal. (Many pictures!) Empty Delicious Silkie Meal. (Many pictures!) Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:29 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

So here he is from start to finish. I parted him out and cooked the breast meat separately for my husband. I didn't think he would enjoy the skin and the black bones. The meat was dark, firm and flavourful. The skin was thick and chewy. I made a spicy Thai dish with coconut and curry.

Don't ask me if Doug liked it. He emailed me a couple hours ago saying he had to go and mediate a dispute between residents and gun club members and said it could be ugly. I am a little frightened by this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Black bones...

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yum!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Ok, you have a stronger stomach than I do. Looks very interesting, but...........Not for me.  Embarassed 

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

What! And you with those new silkies? Whatever did you buy them for anyway?

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Lol, The outside, not the inside. To look at the beautiful Buff Colour. I really and truly didn't know silkies looked like that butchered. Oh dear, they'll all

probably die of old age.  Rolling Eyes 

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Must say Sue that your silkie looks far more inviting than the frozen ones I've seen.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Toybarons, you must come over to the dark side....literally!

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

they are supposed to be good for you. Feel healthier yet?

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Interesting read on the Silkie in Dining
Sue you are on to something is there a big Asian population near you
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Edmonton has a strong Asian population. I will continue to cull my spare Roos this way but advertise ahead and find purchasers, probably in Edmonton.

Fowler, they are supposed to be an aphrodisiac. I didn't feel particularly...amorous.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:

Fowler, they are supposed to be an aphrodisiac.  I didn't feel particularly...amorous.

Must have prepared it wrong.

Sebas49

Sebas49

I must comment on this post.

First, Only good Silkie is a dead Silkie. Just kidding, everyone know how much I love Silkies

Second, I had a small company a number of years ago that raised Silkies for meat. My clients were the Asian population from the Edmonton area. We would bring them to the Tiny Tim processing planet near Andrew, AB and have them butchered and inspected. When it was all said and done after the cost of feed and processing them it was not all that profitable. As everyone knows who raise Silkes they are not the most hardy chickens, so we also had a few losses. Once the processing planet closed we closed our operation also. The Silkies were saved and went on to the show circuit. We never did try eating any Silkie meat ourselves, so I don't know how it tasted. I still get calls for Silkies from the Asian group from time to time.

There is a company in the Vancouver area that crossed the Silkes with Broiler chicken to produce large chickens with darker (black meat). The Asian people were not fooled by this cross and didn't really jump on the new idea. They want the true Silkie meat. The biggest clients were women who just had a baby because the Asian doctors ordered the black meat because it has healing properties and helps them recover faster.

http://www.c-rducks.com

13Delicious Silkie Meal. (Many pictures!) Empty Re: Delicious Silkie Meal. (Many pictures!) Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:20 am

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Have to admit, I butchered a silkie one time it is one of the few things I have not been able to eat, and I will try most things. The black everything just put me off. I am still curious, would like to try a bite someday.....maybe, but we never did find the cause of pasty butt.

14Delicious Silkie Meal. (Many pictures!) Empty Re: Delicious Silkie Meal. (Many pictures!) Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:05 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Good for you! Another one of those things I may eat if someone else prepared it! Still have not had the courage to try another rabbit, but I did buy a meat grinder attachment for my mixer to do small batches of ground meat. I bought it for the lamb shoulders that the neighbour keeps giving me and I can't cook properly.

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Surprising the black mutation didn't get going in a wild population, if it prevents things from eating you.  lol! 

yardbirds23

yardbirds23

I think I may have to try this   Smile

chicksdeluxe

chicksdeluxe
New Here

Interesting post about silkie meat. Too bad that the asain population live far from my place.

isabelle

http://www.chicksdeluxe.com

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sebas49 wrote:I must comment on this post.

First, Only good Silkie is a dead Silkie.  Just kidding, everyone know how much I love Silkies

Second, I had a small company a number of years ago that raised Silkies for meat.  My clients were the Asian population from the Edmonton area.  We would bring them to the Tiny Tim processing planet near Andrew, AB and have them butchered and inspected.  When it was all said and done after the cost of feed and processing them it was not all that profitable.  As everyone knows who raise Silkes they are not the most hardy chickens, so we also had a few losses.  Once the processing planet closed we closed our operation also.  The Silkies were saved and went on to the show circuit.  We never did try eating any Silkie meat ourselves, so I don't know how it tasted.  I still get calls for Silkies from the Asian group from time to time.

There is a company in the Vancouver area that crossed the Silkes with Broiler chicken to produce large chickens with darker (black meat).  The Asian people were not fooled by this cross and didn't really jump on the new idea.  They want the true Silkie meat.  The biggest clients were women who just had a baby because the Asian doctors ordered the black meat because it has healing properties and helps them recover faster.  

So I missed this post. Thank-you Seb! I know you love silkies and even have the pictures to prove it. Since I am raising bearded whites to show I always have extra roosters when I have made my picks for the next year. I doubt I will make a living off the meat, but a few extras processed may bring in a little money. If you get any calls, please send them my contact information.

And if you want to try a little silkie, I will cook one for you!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum