Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Muscovy duck question

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Muscovy duck question Empty Muscovy duck question Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:10 pm

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

I have a year-old duck and a new male, age indeterminate but he's large and has full red stuff whatever it's called on his face, so I'm thinking mating-age anyway. I have not seen any mating activity yet though. Today, however, the duck started nesting. She's been laying regularly for almost a month.

My question, if anyone has any thoughts, is this: would a duck start to nest (plucking breast down, staying in the next box overnight) if she had not been mated??

OR

Can I tell if eggs are fertile in some way? Is it the same as with a chicken? The white bullseye mark on the yolk?

I'm not sure if I should try and break her up or not. I really do want ducklings, so don't want her nesting yet if the eggs are duds.

2Muscovy duck question Empty Re: Muscovy duck question Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:47 am

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can tell if the egg is fertile with a bulls eye, just like a chicken egg.

3Muscovy duck question Empty Re: Muscovy duck question Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:46 am

KlassyChic

KlassyChic

I had three girls and no drake last year and all of them nested, laid and tried to hatch. I ended up putting chicken eggs under them.

I have two drakes this year, they seem to be shy Embarassed but I have caught them in action a few times when going out to the barn in the morning.

The red flesh on the face is their caruncle Very Happy By what you describe he should be of mating age.

If you have had them together I would think there is a good chance the eggs should be fertilized!

4Muscovy duck question Empty Re: Muscovy duck question Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:29 pm

shelan

Most likely your new male has mated with the hen with out you looking . They are very prolific . Let her set , and in 8-10 days candle an egg , and you see if they have blood rings . Than you'll know if they are fertile , with out wasting a potential baby.

Shelan

5Muscovy duck question Empty Re: Muscovy duck question Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:56 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

I totally agree with what is said.  You just probably have not seen him.  My experience with breeding muscovy ducks is that the males are selective about when they mate.  They are not like the rooster that breeds many times a day, jumps on and off.  The male muscovy takes his time and the actual mating can take a couple of minutes.  (and he actually has apparatus that is used to mate the duck, it looks like a corkscrew Smile).  So, for sure, I bet my bottom dollar that he is having a very nice time with the girls, when you are not looking.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Did you ever see that video that I put on about how the drake could not make up his mind between two girls?  I will put it up again, it was actually quite funny.....it was taken about 5 years ago, when we were back on the coast

this is on utube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9MIS4ysdO8

6Muscovy duck question Empty Re: Muscovy duck question Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:34 am

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

Too cute C.
Thanks for the responses everyone. Smile I gave her all the eggs I've been collecting and will candle next week. I hope they're fertile! She seems quite determined. She's very shy normally but she stuck right in her nest box while I placed the eggs in there.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum