Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can access this video on the first post of the Rabbit Talk thread found here...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As you may expect it is graphic and involves killing, skinning and gutting the rabbit. It is also copyrighted so if you want a copy or want to share, please contact Grumpy on the Rabbit Talk forum.

2Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:28 am

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great Video Sue thanks for sharing Maybe it can be a Sticky for people to check out when they are ready to Butcher The Rabbits

Thumbs up  cheers cheers 

3Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

that is an excellent video. he makes it look so easy, very calm and practised.

4Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Grumpy lives in a civilized area of the US where rabbit producers are allowed to do processing for the public as long as they follow USDA protocol.

5Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

if I had rabbits and didn't want to process my own I'd be really happy for him to do them for me.

6Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sadly, if you did such a thing in Alberta, you would be breaking the law. I will bet BC is the same.

7Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

yes, might be but I don't know where to check. If I was raising the rabbits myself I'd also probably do the processing too - just because I feel I should but it would be so good to work with or be present with someone like Grumpy, learn best that way I do. Yoda is here  Razz 

8Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

Good video Sue - thanks. I have always had a real fear of killing rabbits but I see it can be done calmly, and most importantly, humanely, with really not much margin of error.

9Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I would like to add that for your first rabbit, I would suggest a young doe. Bucks and older rabbits can be a little tough to skin. The author also tans his hides, and sells raw hide to the tanner. His skins are removed in a way that does not damage them.

He is quite a master, isn't he? I have worked with my old German friend, Franklin, to process rabbits but have not yet done a solo act. I suggest working with someone who knows their business first. When working with Franklin, since we have two people, one will hold the rabbit outstretched and the other will deliver a blow with a pipe to the back of the head. I am not strong enough to do the cervical dislocation myself yet. There is a great product called a 'rabbit wringer' that bolts to a wall. If you slide the rabbit's neck into the device and pull swiftly down, you can dispatch a rabbit quickly and painlessly.

10Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Wed May 20, 2015 5:30 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Do you have any pictures of the rabbit wringer???? Also do the rabbits need to hang in a cooler for a day or 2 until packaging?

Or can you just go ahead and package?

11Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu May 21, 2015 8:37 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

lady leghorn wrote:Do you have any pictures of the rabbit wringer????    Also do the rabbits need to hang in a cooler for a day or 2 until packaging?

Or can you just go ahead and package?

If you Google 'Rabbit Wringer' you will find pictures and video. I have mine done at a gov't inspected processor. They package them. I freeze most of them right away, but will thaw them in the fridge a few days before eating them.

12Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Thu May 21, 2015 10:01 am

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks, I will have a look. Smile

13Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Fri May 22, 2015 2:02 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sue, Can those Rabbit butchering Wringers be purchased in Canada? Wondered if you knew who might carry them?

Thanks. Smile

14Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Empty Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent Mon May 25, 2015 7:22 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Here is the website. I am sure they will sell to Canada.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum