Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:12 am

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
You can access this video on the first post of the Rabbit Talk thread found here...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As you may expect it is graphic and involves killing, skinning and gutting the rabbit. It is also copyrighted so if you want a copy or want to share, please contact Grumpy on the Rabbit Talk forum.

2 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:28 am

appway

Golden Member
Golden Member
Great Video Sue thanks for sharing Maybe it can be a Sticky for people to check out when they are ready to Butcher The Rabbits

Thumbs up  cheers cheers 

3 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:54 am

Magdelan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
that is an excellent video. he makes it look so easy, very calm and practised.

4 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:04 pm

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
Grumpy lives in a civilized area of the US where rabbit producers are allowed to do processing for the public as long as they follow USDA protocol.

5 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Magdelan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
if I had rabbits and didn't want to process my own I'd be really happy for him to do them for me.

6 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:30 pm

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
Sadly, if you did such a thing in Alberta, you would be breaking the law. I will bet BC is the same.

7 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:08 pm

Magdelan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
yes, might be but I don't know where to check. If I was raising the rabbits myself I'd also probably do the processing too - just because I feel I should but it would be so good to work with or be present with someone like Grumpy, learn best that way I do. Yoda is here  Razz 

8 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:45 pm

Farmchiq

Good video Sue - thanks. I have always had a real fear of killing rabbits but I see it can be done calmly, and most importantly, humanely, with really not much margin of error.

9 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:58 pm

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
I would like to add that for your first rabbit, I would suggest a young doe. Bucks and older rabbits can be a little tough to skin. The author also tans his hides, and sells raw hide to the tanner. His skins are removed in a way that does not damage them.

He is quite a master, isn't he? I have worked with my old German friend, Franklin, to process rabbits but have not yet done a solo act. I suggest working with someone who knows their business first. When working with Franklin, since we have two people, one will hold the rabbit outstretched and the other will deliver a blow with a pipe to the back of the head. I am not strong enough to do the cervical dislocation myself yet. There is a great product called a 'rabbit wringer' that bolts to a wall. If you slide the rabbit's neck into the device and pull swiftly down, you can dispatch a rabbit quickly and painlessly.

10 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Wed May 20, 2015 5:30 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Do you have any pictures of the rabbit wringer???? Also do the rabbits need to hang in a cooler for a day or 2 until packaging?

Or can you just go ahead and package?

11 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu May 21, 2015 8:37 am

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
lady leghorn wrote:Do you have any pictures of the rabbit wringer????    Also do the rabbits need to hang in a cooler for a day or 2 until packaging?

Or can you just go ahead and package?

If you Google 'Rabbit Wringer' you will find pictures and video. I have mine done at a gov't inspected processor. They package them. I freeze most of them right away, but will thaw them in the fridge a few days before eating them.

12 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Thu May 21, 2015 10:01 am

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Thanks, I will have a look. Smile

13 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Fri May 22, 2015 2:02 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Sue, Can those Rabbit butchering Wringers be purchased in Canada? Wondered if you knew who might carry them?

Thanks. Smile

14 Re: Rabbit Processing Video- Excellent on Mon May 25, 2015 7:22 am

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
Here is the website. I am sure they will sell to Canada.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum