Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winter 2014 (pic heavy)

+9
Magdelan
Farmchiq
Echo 1
'lilfarm
Farmer Bob
Ruffledfeathers
IzzyD
auntieevil
SerJay
13 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:46 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

For the most part we've had a warm dreary winter but the last month or so it finally got cold and the sun came out.
I love my camera and my critters
A young one, I expected mom to come anytime but she never did
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_1518

Next was a brisk -34C (actual temp not windchill) the Fraser River was steamy
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_2638-1

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_2678

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_2699

My Shy boy modelling my favourite tuque Smile A couple yrs ago he was nightmare to bridle because he lost his mind when his ears were touched even slightly
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_2766

Interesting heavy fog/cloud sunrise
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_2933

Turken in the frosty nesting box
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_2949

Deer actually out in the sunshine
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_3003

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_3011

My Smokey boy
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_3651

Crazy new addition flying over 2+ft of hard packed snow
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_3675

My picnic table in the back yard
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_3790

Watching the sun go down
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_3982-1

Sunny beautiful -20 yesterday and waterfowl left penned area and headed out onto the snow
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4379

Snow bath Smile
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4385

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4386

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4392

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4395

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4400

All done look how pretty I am now
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4429

Romeo
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4448

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4468

Snoozing
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4583

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4586

Morning Fog
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4661

Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4691

Getting tired of the snow but it can be pretty and at least there's no bugs Smile

2Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:17 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Lovely pictures.
Yucky cold! We have similar depths of snow here. Fortunately we usually get a thaw between dumps.
Love the pic of the dog screeching across the hard pack. The geese seem to be enjoying their bath, the goat and alpaca the sun.
Was Smokey upset he didn't get to model the latest in ear wear?
Thanks for sharing.

3Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:16 am

IzzyD

IzzyD

I love taking pics too.
Your pics are beautiful!
Looks like you have all kinds if critterness going on at your place.

4Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:50 am

Ruffledfeathers

Ruffledfeathers
Golden Member
Golden Member

Love the pics Serjay. I have to say my favs were the crazy new addition and the sunset.

5Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:12 am

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Awesome pics indeed! Thanks a tonne for sharing!

6Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:48 am

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

Beautiful pictures. Love them all!! Thank you for sharing.

7Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very pretty pictures! Thanks for taking the time to share.

8Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:10 am

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

Gorgeous pictures! It's great that you can, as Cindi says, find something to put that smile on your face. I know at this time of year it's easier to let the cold and snow get us down. A beautiful sunny day can sure turn things around hey?? Those geese are pretty hilarious! Marching out into the depths and having a snow bath. Your horses look happy and healthy too. I'm interested to hear more about Shy Boy. I had a mare that you couldn't get near her ears either. Ever. Never got through. How did you do it?

Thanks for sharing your home with us.

9Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanx The cloudy dreary days get to me as well and I much prefer real cold because the sky is blue and beautiful. I think the hardest on the critters is when it hovers just below zero because the dampness and dreary is awful. I have young kids and critters that enjoy my attention so it's best just to make the best of the weather and find the beauty where you are.

The waterfowl slide along on their bellies like penguins to get to the untouched snow and then once its packed they walk on it just fine.

Farmchiq no real secrets just patience. Shylo is a well trained boy but hated his ears, belly and bum touched. He has another quirk and that is when he has had enough or doesn't want to do as asked he puts it in reverse. Not terrible but very frustrating so he and I learned to do horsemanship games together regularly and it really helped us. I still just touch him occasionally in his old touchy places just because. It makes fly spraying and Swat application much easier I can walk up to him on my own (used to be a 2 person hassle) and no need to halter anymore Smile He just gives me the look but stands for it because he knows its going to happen whether he wants it or not. As for the hat he is a chubby beast and will now do anything for an alfalfa cube LOL

10Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:29 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

very very beautiful Serjay. So nice to see your photos. Canada is a very photogenic, as are your animal company :-). The snow really has a serene-ifying effect. We live at 3300 feet and I am so glad we are not down in the valley. Down there I believe seasonal affective disorder is more prevalent, they seldom see the lovely sunny skies we get up here. Rather a little more cold than no sun. Our house is dark but looking out this morning, beautiful beautiful and there is a different hue to the light, spring hues coming through.

How amazing those turkens with their featherless necks, managing those temperatures.

11Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:35 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This is my waterfowl area this morning
Winter 2014 (pic heavy) NIK_4962

Romeo (white gander) is having a drink from the large rubber water trough that's hidden in snow there at the front left corner.

Green house area and raised bed garden will become broody goose area and then little one nursery. For now everyone is together and can freely move in garden and their netted safe area behind the garden. The brown building behind the little green house is the waterfowl shelter and I can separate into 3 groups for breeding but in winter they all stay together. The rail fence area is waterfowl area and our farm fence is upside down so the waterfowl can come out into the yard but dogs, goats etc can not get in their safe place. We had a snowy owl problem last winter and we have rotten ravens in spring so at night they get locked into the netted areas.

12Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:39 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Magdelan those ugly Turkens are the most amazing hens. My youngest chose them in a hatchery chick order 3yrs ago. We still have all of them, they're always the ones you'll find out in the run even on the coldest days and they're fantastic layers even at 3yrs old. I do find them hard to look at though Smile

13Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:43 am

yardbirds23

yardbirds23

Thanks for sharing all of your beautiful photos.   sunny

14Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:47 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

SerJay wrote:Magdelan those ugly Turkens are the most amazing hens.  My youngest chose them in a hatchery chick order 3yrs ago.  We still have all of them, they're always the ones you'll find out in the run even on the coldest days and they're fantastic layers even at 3yrs old.  I do find them hard to look at though Smile

ooo they are ugly aren't they! but, as we have been told since birth, looks are not everything and don't judge a book by its cover. They sound like they are the exact opposite to what I had them pegged as - I would have thought they would not want to be out in the cold at all.

15Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:11 pm

Buff

Buff

Beautiful pictures love the geese bathing in the snow.

16Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:38 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks so much for sharing your photos with us all.  Very Happy 

Love them all, but the geese are hilarious bathing in the snow. They must have had cabin fever. Lol.

17Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:40 pm

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

Magdelan wrote:
How amazing those turkens with their featherless necks, managing those temperatures.  

It just struck me as funny that some people put saddles on their hens but nobody has thought (even with the huge plethora of talent we have on here, so it stands to reason that it must be prevalent within the chicken-keeper world) to knit little scarves for the poor naked necked Turkens.

Just struck me as funny tonight.

18Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:18 pm

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

LOL Farmchiq maybe I'll have to take up knitting so I can cover them up and make them easier on my eyes LOL 2 of ours have a couple neck feathers like a bow tie but naked above and below. The 2 full naked are even harder to look at and always seem to have full crops yuck They are friendly, healthy and never succumb to any mishap, they are serious survivors. My asthma has gotten really bad and I couldn't keep on my son about his chores with so many birds. He cut down his layer to coop to about 14 from about 40 hens and the 4 naked necks stayed because they are great in everyway except prettiness  Embarassed 

It seemed almost cruel to have birds with so few feathers in our climate and their first year we tried to coddle them with lights etc but they were always the ones outside busy in the run pecking at the snow and ice. They actually seem to be less bothered by the cold than some of the fluffier hens he has.

My waterfowl always bathe in the snow like that. The ducks were doing it as well but they are harder to isolate to take photos of them. They act just like when they're in water and it works they stay nice and clean Smile They do have a big heated water for drinking and cleaning faces but they exfoliate with the snow hahaha

19Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:34 am

Farmchiq

Farmchiq

I had a couple of N.N.s back on the coast, and I kind of cringed every time I looked at them too. I never got used to them.

20Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:07 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Farmchiq wrote:
Magdelan wrote:

It just struck me as funny that some people put saddles on their hens but nobody has thought (even with the huge plethora of talent we have on here, so it stands to reason that it must be prevalent within the chicken-keeper world) to knit little scarves for the poor naked necked Turkens.  

Just struck me as funny tonight.

have to see Authentic about this, I even saw on one post that she was unable to type cause she was knitting little scarves for her chooks. She has probably got a great chicken apparel pattern book, might share patterns ?  Laughing 

21Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:22 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Maybe some turtleneck sweaters would work? Or small Dickie mock turtlenecks?

22Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:44 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Dickie Turtleneck's for Turkens. There is a funny poem in that.  :-).

23Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:27 am

SerJay

SerJay
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Haha dickies for the turkens that made me smile this morning  Razz 

24Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Empty Re: Winter 2014 (pic heavy) Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:39 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That horse wearing the toque is too cute, lol. Thanks for sharing your lovely pictures.  sunny

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum