Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The rise and fall of Fort ChickenVille

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The rise and fall of Fort ChickenVille on Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:54 pm

islandgal99

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
I was so excited...our predators are so numerous,  devised a clever plan to keep my chickens safe while I figure out where to put the permanent chicken runs.  Completely covered to protect from the ever present Bald Eagles, chicken eating ravens, hawks of many kinds including red tails and chicken loving coopers hawks, owls of many types including 4 that live in the woods nearby...those are just the ones I've seen.  And then electrified perimeter to keep out predator #1 - the Raccoon, that evil little dasterdley devil that eats chickens live through a fence if it can get it's little paws on one, and works in groups to scare them so that one can get paws on...and electric to keep out stray dogs, and hopefully the mink (rumor has it the mink get angry at the fence, and then bite it, and then bugger off if they survive - but that's the variable I don't know, maybe the bear will stay away too...the only predator likely to get in would be a cougar - and there is so much better and easier food for a cougar, I hope that the once every 4 years cougar will leave me alone.  I had one neighbor who yesterday told me he was sad because his Chihuahua's couldn't come play with the pigs anymore because of the electric netting - ARE YOU SERIOUS - people think it's cool to let their dogs "play" with my livestock - lucky my pigs are awesome and the pigs didn't eat the little rats.  And I digress...back to Fort ChickenVille

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Still a work in progress, daily moving fencing around to figure out the best configuration, I hadn't put in all the final tension pegs on the fencing yet...but there's usually a good 5 megavolts running through that deceivingly delicate looking wire fencing.  It was a challenge to figure out a way to attach the netting without allowing it to steal a current - with that much netting, when it was touching the fence it was draining the fence and although it was fine to touch there was enough current in the net that by the end of the line there was very little current left.  So the close-pegs worked out well for now.  

All I had left to do was space out the runs, and run a divider between the main pens so the big runs could get the grass...

And Fort ChickenVille will allow for green grass for all the pens and runs, with  moveable runs inside the perimeter, and the entire enclosure is quasi moveable, though only likely needed maybe once or twice a year.  Great plan, great progress....I was so happy...

And then comes the snow - great heavy sticky snow.  

Gabriola doesn't get snow in February, maybe a skiff.  Not last night.  Fort ChickenVille was decimated.  Sad  The netting is all torn, the fencing is all stretched...I was just feeling like I was getting ahead, and now I'm so far behind.

Good news all peeps are safe and sound, I have my portable pens set up inside so they have little houses and runs that are just fine.  Bad news is that incubator will be empty for atleast another two weeks while I rebuild Fort ChickenVille and get the breeding pens set up.  Fort ChickenVille will be rebuilt...maybe in another few weeks when I have the energy after getting back from Alberta, but in the meantime I re-routed the fences to a smaller space, and am going out every few hours to knock off the snow so that my nets are not destroyed anymore.

Stupid Snow. Stupid Winter.  Go away already - I want my spring!!!

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

2 Re: The rise and fall of Fort ChickenVille on Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:04 pm

Farmchiq

Oh that's so disheartening!! Mother Nature in all her glory can be such a beotch too when it suits. Sad It looks like a great setup you have though, and hopefully that was (for you anyway) winter's last gasp and you can get on with it.

Where did you get that electric fence? It looks very handy.

3 Re: The rise and fall of Fort ChickenVille on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 pm

Echo 1

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Fort ChickenVille was impressive! We have lost structures from snow also..... frustrating!

4 Re: The rise and fall of Fort ChickenVille on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:28 pm

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
Poor Chickenville! One advantage to Alberta...dry snow that does not stick to the wire- as much!

5 Re: The rise and fall of Fort ChickenVille on Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:23 pm

auntieevil

Full Time Member
Full Time Member
All our fencing goes ka-put here. Soft sandy earth, lots of rain, heavy snow and freezing rain. Hard to keep anything up.
It is so disappointing to watch hours of work drooping on the ground...
Eventually all my permanent pens will be made from stacks of discarded, 50 pound lobster traps... Even the pigs don't move them far!
Good luck with the re-build.

6 Re: The rise and fall of Fort ChickenVille on Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Magdelan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
sorry to see the snow do that to your best efforts in keeping your peeps safe. it is such a force some times. we had hardly any for so long and now it is snowing pretty good. I was out the back yesterday and saw it had collapsed the roof of my little greenhouse, sad day. what is worse, not trying to steal the show, but I broke one of the arm thingies that keeps the plow on our old 49 Ford tractor in place, it was stressed already, only took a very small rock to make the break. yep, snow, it is time to move on now. Free Matador Farm and keep me from having to hand shovel the drive!

7 Re: The rise and fall of Fort ChickenVille on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:04 am

debbiej

Full Time Member
Full Time Member
Sorry all your hard work got crushed  Sad  , we got major dumped on too. My herring netting is almost touching the ground, way too heavy to shake the wet heavy snow off. Well on the bright side no predators will get through that.
Turkeylover you should get yourself an old clock radio with flashing red numbers, I have one playing Classic Rock 101.1 for the last 4 years and haven't had a predator attack since. No raccoons, not a single predator loss since we put it out at the coops.

8 Re: The rise and fall of Fort ChickenVille on Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:10 am

islandgal99

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
debbiej wrote:Sorry all your hard work got crushed   Sad  , we got major dumped on too. My herring netting is almost touching the ground, way too heavy to shake the wet heavy snow off. Well on the bright side no predators will get through that.
Turkeylover you should get yourself an old clock radio with flashing red numbers, I have one playing Classic Rock 101.1 for the last 4 years and haven't had a predator attack since. No raccoons, not a single predator loss since we put it out at the coops.  

I'll need to set up solar or something out there, as Fort ChickenKnox is too far from the house for power. But it is in the driest area...so I think my permanent pens will also be out there. I've found out the front pasture is swamp this time of year, and the middle one is mostly trees so that's where the pigs are right now. There is another area I was thinking of for the chickens, but I'm also thinking that will be a good market garden area and the pigs are already working it up for me....so many decisions, so little time.

For now, i just have to get Fort ChickenKnox rebuilt.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum