Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Paper towel germination

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:04 am

Sweetened

Full Time Member
Full Time Member
Does anyone germinate using paper towels, where you put them in a ziplock bag while damp with seeds in the middle in a warm spot?

I'm curious about this. What have you found to be the advantages/disadvantages?

http://steadfastfarm.wordpress.com/

2 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:22 am

authenticfarm

Golden Member
Golden Member
That's how we check seed quality of our wheat etc. before we put it in the ground. Put a set number (25) to germinate, then count how many sprout, gives us our % of germination.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

3 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:15 am

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
Also used commonly in elementary school science classes!

4 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:26 pm

Sweetened

Full Time Member
Full Time Member
Yeah, I know it's good for germination rates. I also read that you can get BETTER germination rates this way. I'm just trying to figure if it can lead to hardier plants, though I'm not sure it would have an effect on that.

I SUCK at getting strong, beefy seedlings. Light is my primary issue, but I NEVER get it right (ever). So, I'm grasping at straws.

5 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:31 pm

authenticfarm

Golden Member
Golden Member
Mine are always weedy, too. My house sucks for light.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

6 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Sweetened

Full Time Member
Full Time Member
Last year, I even tried where you have the grow lights hanging less than a cm from the developing seedling, timers and all, still spindly as all mess. Fans, shaking, blowing, throwing, smashing and dropping, all ineffective.

7 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:05 pm

The method works great for starting seeds ( I put mine on the fridge towards the back where there is more heat coming over the top ) , as far as stronger goes ? but the most important part as you said is light ! If your plants start looking to thin and gangly then nip off the tops before they get to tall , this will put the energy back into what's left and it should give a stronger stem which will lead to a more leafy and sturdier plant ............hope that helps a bit .

8 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Halogen, incandescent, fluorescent? Will any of these work?

9 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:07 pm

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
I have found three things that will make strong, stocky seedlings.

1. High light. I use fluorescent and move the seedlings so the tops are almost touching the light.

2. Cool temperatures. I keep my seedlings in the basement where the temp is around 50 degrees F.

3. Abuse. Yes, abuse. A stem will grow slowly and stay thick if you knock it around a little. I use a paper tube and brush the tops of the plants back and forth in a fan motion twice a day, about 40 times. The bending back and forth of the stem causes it to grow slowly and thickly.

10 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:09 pm

Schipperkesue wrote:I have found three things that will make strong, stocky seedlings.

1.  High light.  I use fluorescent and move the seedlings so the tops are almost touching the light.

2.  Cool temperatures.  I keep my seedlings in the basement where the temp is around 50 degrees F.  

3.  Abuse.  Yes, abuse.  A stem will grow slowly and stay thick if you knock it around a little.  I use a paper tube and brush the tops of the plants back and forth in a fan motion twice a day, about 40 times.  The bending back and forth of the stem causes it to grow slowly and thickly.

I have never heard of #3......... ? interesting ?

11 Re: Paper towel germination on Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:23 pm

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
Brushing your seedlings....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can also use a fan, but I don't like to because it dries the soil too quickly.

12 Re: Paper towel germination on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:24 am

yardbirds23

Schipperkesue wrote:Brushing your seedlings....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You can also use a fan, but I don't like to because it dries the soil too quickly.

I agree, the soil does dry more quickly, however, if you are diligent in providing moisture, the root systems are bigger because the seedlings seek moisture.   Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum