Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking for a buff laced breed

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Looking for a buff laced breed Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:29 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I am looking for a nice large fowl buff laced breed that is not crested. If anyone knows one or has any please let me know. I want to work on the lacing on my buff laced orps, and need to find some buff laced breed!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

2Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Re: Looking for a buff laced breed Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:37 pm

Butterboy

Butterboy

There are very few good buff laced in north america. If you have type and you are just working con colour, line breeding is the way to go!

3Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Re: Looking for a buff laced breed Fri Dec 27, 2013 5:43 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Absolutely pardon my ignorance, but what is a buff laced orpington? Trying to wrap my head around this and I just can't seem to get there. Do you mean gold laced? I would like to know. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

4Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Re: Looking for a buff laced breed Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:31 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The only buff laced bird I know is the polish. However, if I were in your shoes I would ask Perry Schofield. Not only does he have a lot of knowledge, but also a lot of connections.

5Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Re: Looking for a buff laced breed Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:09 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

I will try to post pics of my buff laced orpingtons. I imported them last year from the us. They are nice quiet birds, but definitely need lots of work on their lacing.

Sue I have an email sent to Perry! I figured he may be able to help out on this one with ideas!! lol

6Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Re: Looking for a buff laced breed Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Butterboy

Butterboy

If you can get ahold of a good gold laced orp then you would be wise to use that. The only difference of between a gold laced and a buff laced is the dominant white gene. You can interbreed the two colours quite easily and if type is not an issue you should be able to work with the lacing, but it will take time.

7Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Re: Looking for a buff laced breed Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:24 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

So I have 2 options

1. Gold laced orps
2. blue laced red wyandottes

both would work to work on the lacing. The Gold laced would be best, but not sure if I will be able to find any.

8Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Re: Looking for a buff laced breed Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:59 pm

Butterboy

Butterboy

I suppose those are your options, but chances are crossing will cause more issues than it would help. If the type of the birds is good and you have all the right genes it is really just a matter of refining the lacing. The best way to do this is with very closely managed linebreeding. Outcrossing to to another breed will impact the type of your orps and could have an impact on other factors like leg colour.

Also, all of the possible breeds to outcross to( BLRW, GLW, GLO) are either very hard to find, or finding birds with good lacing is quite hard.

9Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Re: Looking for a buff laced breed Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:11 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

One of the biggest issues is I only had 3 survive the trip here. One happens to have a cross beak so will only be a laying hen, not going in the breeding pen, and then I have another pulley and possibly a roo. Not positive on that one!!

10Looking for a buff laced breed Empty Re: Looking for a buff laced breed Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:32 pm

Butterboy

Butterboy

In that case, you will need to do some outcrossing. Ideally breed to gold lace orp. Other colours of orp that could work are partridge and buff. If you cross to either of those colours it will be may generations before you get back to buff laced.

If you choose to outcross to a different breed you will have your work cut out for you. Working on colour and type at the same time is not something for the faint of heart.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum