Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

CHB Urban Farm Show Champ

+7
heda gobbler
steve
k.r.l
coopslave
smokyriver
Anna
Piet
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:00 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

This Welsumer cockerel won breed, then best continental class and went on to take the whole show.
Also pictures some Barnevelders, the pullet won Reserve Continental class. The Barnevelder males pic is not lighted good enough to see the color, at least you see the type somewhat. Piet
Judges were Merle Watson and Walt Leonard.
CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Photo1_zps07183f23

CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Photo3_zps3faa25a0

CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Photo4_zps8c9d9f49

CHB Urban Farm Show Champ 5_zps36ef82b1

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

2CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Anna

Anna

Very nice! Congrats!
I really like the Barnevelder pullet :-)
(it's "the year of the Barnevelder", did you hear about the show in Holland with over 700 Barnevelders participating in this show?)

3CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:26 pm

smokyriver

smokyriver
Golden Member
Golden Member

Gorgeous birds Piet!! Love them!!!

http://Www.poultrypalacecanada.com

4CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:55 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Beautiful Barnevelders Piets! I miss mine. Nothing like a good Barnie shape.
I have a comment/question about their ground colour, can we do it here or would you prefer a pm?

5CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:29 pm

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congratulations Piet on Winning Best in Show!

6CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:35 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

CHB Urban Farm Show Champ DSCN0099_zps29d02292

congrad's on your Win Piet
beautiful birds

7CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:40 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great shot Steve, beautiful bird!

8CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:02 pm

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Fantastic! Congratulations!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

9CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:09 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congratulations Piet, looks to be a good bird in great condition. I wish the picture of the Barnie boys were better as I would be interested to see them better.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

10CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:18 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi Heather, thank you. Walt absolutely loved the Barnevelders both male and female. He said color was bang on. Coopslave; pm is great. Anna; yes I was fully informed about the Gallinova show, 780 barnies entered. Majority of entries were from Holland and Germany.

11CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:18 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi Piet I wonder if your avatar is a Barnevelder? They are very smart looking - I saw on TripleJ's link to facebook pictures that you have bantams too? Do you have any photos of them? I like their legs - don't ask me why but I like that "already braced for action" look.

12CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:54 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Magdelan wrote:Hi Piet  I wonder if your avatar is a Barnevelder?   They are very smart looking  -  I saw on TripleJ's link to facebook pictures that you have bantams too?  Do you have any photos of them?  I like their legs  -  don't ask me why but I like that "already braced for action" look.  
Yes I have em, the Barnevelder Bantams are around 1 kilo heavy. (2 1/4lbs) I showed a trio of them last weekend. CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Hen_zps109d08ec
CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Roo_zps4a74a871

13CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:05 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I adore the look of the Barnevelder hens. Love the pencilling!

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

14CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:19 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Double lacing on the Barnevelder, Authentic. They are a beautiful bird.

15CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:21 pm

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

I wanted to say lacing Embarassed but thought that maybe wasn't right, with the two rings of black.

It's still gorgeous. I might need a Barnevelder someday.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

16CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:27 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

moved this to it's own thread

17CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:30 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

thanks for putting the picture up Piet.  must be a Barnevelder in your avatar picture :-).  Oh heck.  if it weren't for that single comb I might also have to have one too Authentic.  These days I think I'm not a single comb person any more but we'll see what the winter does.  Headed for cold snap (for us that means we get excited at neg 20  -  you guys out there east of the Rockies and way up there in the coast Mtns (Heda?) are used to this I guess, laughing at me right now no doubt.  Suspect 

thanks again Piet.  those bantams are so cute.   They look like they should be marching to drums :-).

Last edited by Magdelan on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : took my comment to Coopslave to the new thread she made to avoid hijacking)

18CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:32 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Magdelan, I was hijacking so I started an new thread with the pictures here:

https://wcps.canadian-forum.com/t9212-pencilling-vs-double-lacing#80086

19CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:26 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Beautiful birds Piet.

I'm still trying to figure out how I missed this thread!!!

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

20CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Magdelan wrote:thanks for putting the picture up Piet.  must be a Barnevelder in your avatar picture :-).  Oh heck.  if it weren't for that single comb I might also have to have one too Authentic.  These days I think I'm not a single comb person any more but we'll see what the winter does.  Headed for cold snap (for us that means we get excited at neg 20  -  you guys out there east of the Rockies and way up there in the coast Mtns (Heda?) are used to this I guess, laughing at me right now no doubt.  Suspect 

thanks again Piet.  those bantams are so cute.   They look like they should be marching to drums :-).

my roosters all have medium sized combs and do extremely well in The winter. Large combs on Barnevelders and Welsummers are big faults. The bantam barnevelder male on the pic has a comb to big, that is sorta a fault I am adressing right now. I kept 12 males from him out of a hen with an itti bitty comb. A couple tips maybget frostbite, but in general they are all good. I keep mine inside a shop building, but have no heatsource. Usually it is ten degrees warmer in there with all the bodies. Piet

21CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:20 am

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi Piet, I had to google where Okotoks is, for sure I thought it had to be way over on the East but you are just over the Rockies. I was getting Okotoks mixed up with Ozark's which are definitely more eastern but in Missouri, USA! good grief is my geography a little lacking in style.

We have our chickens in a barn which is insulated but I think I need to work on the ventilation, sometimes there is frost on the inside of the windows. If I get the ventilation sorted better then I won't need to worry so much about single combs getting frostbite. The first year we had a -30 and that was quite shocking for me but we haven't had that since. If it is -13 outside the barn it is -7 inside and that's when my thermocubes switch heat lamps on but so far we haven't been cold enough for that. Coming this week apparently.

I hope you find a rooster in that dozen to help with your breeding for smaller combs. I totally like the look of those chickens. I wonder if I am correct in thinking that the Barnevelder hails from Holland? - where you grew up? maybe I have it mixed up with another bird. I borrowed someones book on chicken raising and have given it back, think that is where I read about that. Odd snippets of information but maybe I'm wrong.

22CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:29 am

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Magdelan wrote:Hi Piet, I had to google where Okotoks is, for sure I thought it had to be way over on the East but you are just over the Rockies.  I was getting Okotoks mixed up with Ozark's which are definitely more eastern but in Missouri, USA!  good grief is my geography a little lacking in style.

We have our chickens in a barn which is insulated but I think I need to work on the ventilation, sometimes there is frost on the inside of the windows.  If I get the ventilation sorted better then I won't need to worry so much about single combs getting frostbite.  The first year we had a -30 and that was quite shocking for me but we haven't had that since.   If it is -13 outside the barn it is -7 inside and that's when my thermocubes switch heat lamps on but so far we haven't been cold enough for that.  Coming this week apparently.  

I hope you find a rooster in that dozen to help with your breeding for smaller combs.  I totally like the look of those chickens.  I wonder if I am correct in thinking that the Barnevelder hails from Holland?  -  where you grew up?   maybe I have it mixed up with another bird.  I borrowed someones book on chicken raising and have given it back, think that is where I read about that.  Odd snippets of information but maybe I'm wrong.  
they were developed in the town of Barneveld and is 20 minutes from where I lived. The Weslummer is another fanous Dutch breed from the town of Welsum, Also very close. So , basically I am only breeding heritage breeds from my own heritage, well that plus Wyandottes. Piet

23CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Empty Re: CHB Urban Farm Show Champ Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Magdelan

Magdelan
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I was correct, really cool when your memory is on and not off! I have both these experiences Shocked . Sounds like you Dutch folk love your chickens :-). Ah, what's not to like I guess. Must say, I am very fond of both the pretty feathers from Welsummer and Barnevelder chickens, eye candy for me. Thanks for sharing.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum