Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should there be examples of Disquailifications at Show?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

k.r.l

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Just wondering what everyone thinks about having examples on display of birds with noticeable Disquailifications at Shows to be used as teaching tools?

What are your thoughts? For our up coming show we are thinking about having a 'DQ' Row, where we have good examples of some traits like feather stubs, wry tail, side sprigs... etc

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:41 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

appway

Golden Member
Golden Member
It might work I know the last show I went to there was a Jersey Giant that was DQ'd for a side sprig and the people were really upset as they said he was a nice rooster and they never new what that was
Give it a try and see how it goes

Hidden River

Golden Member
Golden Member
I think it is an excellent idea KRL, there are a lot of newbies (me included) that don't completely understand some of the terms the judges right on the cards, an example area where people could see what a Stub, or Wry tail is would be great. Duck foot is another good one people need to see to completely understand.

authenticfarm

Golden Member
Golden Member
I think it's a great idea! I would love to see birds, or even really good photos, of the different disqualifications.

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:42 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

k.r.l

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Pictures on here are always welcome.
Myself being a very visual person I always like to look at a example.

It is decided then CHB will have a 'DQ' Row at our upcoming show for educational purposes.
Also if you are planning to attend the show and think you have a good example of a disqualification please email or pm me.

I believe I will be able to round up a few disqualifications in my fattening pen.

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
I am sure I can find you some great examples of ’duck feet' amongst my Houdans.

toybarons

Golden Member
Golden Member
k.r.l. Good idea. Might I suggest that with each example there be some sort of card placed on each cage explaining what the DQ is? Remember at this past lawn show you had a similiar display set up? I know I was asked a by a few people what the DQ birds were doing there as they had no idea.

Prairie Chick

Golden Member
Golden Member
I think it's a great Idea for ppl to actually see the dq, I think it will help breeders when picking breeding stock in turn helping the breed. Very Happy 

Blue Hill Farm

Golden Member
Golden Member
I agree, it is an excellent idea. I know it really helps me to see the fault in the flesh, or a well taken picture.

Butterboy

KRL, You should put my Langshan roo in for side sprigs

heda gobbler

Golden Member
Golden Member
Great idea!

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

Piet

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
But do the showcards not explain why the birds is dq? There are always lots of examples of dq in the showroom already. This sounds more like a good opportunity for a seminar separate from the show aimed for people starting out and do not own or know the sop.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
Piet wrote:But do the showcards not explain why the birds is dq? There are always lots of examples of dq in the showroom already. This sounds more like a good opportunity for a seminar separate from the show aimed for people starting out and do not own or know the sop.
Piet, my first Cochin I showed was DQ for vulture hocks. I asked Kyle what that meant. He tried to explain but didn't really have a good idea what it meant so I was left without answers. I am sure Kyle knows how to explain VH now Wink I certainly do!

Anyway, unless the DQ is explained and not just named, the general public and novice show people will probably not understand exactly what the DQ is.

coopslave

Golden Member
Golden Member
I think it is a great idea.

toybarons

Golden Member
Golden Member
Schipperkesue wrote:
Piet wrote:But do the showcards not explain why the birds is dq? There are always lots of examples of dq in the showroom already. This sounds more like a good opportunity for a seminar separate from the show aimed for people starting out and do not own or know the sop.
Piet, my first Cochin I showed was DQ for vulture hocks.  I asked Kyle what that meant.  He tried to explain but didn't really have a good idea what it meant so I was left without answers.  I am sure Kyle knows how to explain VH now Wink I certainly do!

Anyway, unless the DQ is explained and not just named, the general public and novice show people will probably not understand exactly what the DQ is.
I agree. I raise houdans which are a 5-toe breed. All 5-toed breeds can have duck-feet. Explanations and even pictures in books don't really explain duck-feet as well as actually seeing it with a bird in hand and a knowledgably person there to both show & explain it.

Buff

Schipperkesue wrote:
Piet, my first Cochin I showed was DQ for vulture hocks.  I asked Kyle what that meant.  He tried to explain but didn't really have a good idea what it meant so I was left without answers.  I am sure Kyle knows how to explain VH now Wink I certainly do!

I agree from my experience with showing and breeding dogs it is very hard for some people to see a fault by name alone. It might be more effective to have a print out with a pic of the fault an a explanation. I would only have major faults or the most common ones. I'm new to poultry showing and I am assuming that each breed has its own set of faults and some being the same as others. I do think it is a great idea!!

CynthiaM

Golden Member
Golden Member
I don't get it. I think that knowing what a disqualification looks like is very, very important. So many things that one must be aware of with breeds. If this thread is meant for us to include pictures it should be said so. If a thread where people can put their pictures of disqualifications for breeds in is made, it should be made.

I have had things that are not good, disqualifications, in my flocks, working to get these out of the lines, don't know if I will ever be there. Probably not. I have experienced wry tale, duck feet, vulture hocks, side sprigs, and I have pictures to show these disqualifications, not sure if I have the one for side sprigs, but I am sure someone does. For sure. Want pictures put in this thread? I am thinking that a separate thread for disqualifications should be made. Pictures of disqualifications. What about 2 headed birds? Razz  is that a dq? Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
That would be a new breed, Cynthia!

Kyle wants to have a DQ row at the next show with examples of DQs there for the public to see.

However, if you want to start a new thread...

CynthiaM

Golden Member
Golden Member
Sue, you are tempting fate Embarassed  Razz  beautiful days, CynthiaM.

Fowler

Golden Member
Golden Member
Does sound like an opening for a breeder to get lots of good stock and start the 'Standard Disqual'.

Requirements include wry tale, duck feet, vulture hocks, side sprigs and no identifiable colour pattern.

heda gobbler

Golden Member
Golden Member
There are a couple of dq's I have struggled to understand and just don't get clear from photos alone. If I went to a show and there was a dq display I would find it hugely helpful. Even better if there were someone to ask.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

k.r.l

Addicted Member
Addicted Member
Glad to see that most people are in favor of having a DQ Row at the Show!
We plan on making some good cards that explain the disqualification of each bird, so the public and Exhibitors can learn more about some common DQ's.

Sue it would be great if you could bring a bird with a good example of duck foot.
A friend of mine is bringing Wry tail. I acquired a bird that is a great example of Feather Stubs.

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
Will do!....though I think perhaps the terminology should be a BAD example of duck foot! I will bring a bad duckfoot hen and then Liz can take her home for her menagerie.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum