Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Firewood...Better than Gold in the Vault!

+7
Fowler
CynthiaM
coopslave
Schipperkesue
uno
authenticfarm
HigginsRAT
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I enjoy hand splitting. I'm not one for sitting still and doing something. Its also self gratifying for me to look at that wall of wood in the shelter.

Tara, I've never been known to be smart enough to attach the price of maintenance....I think I've made a grave error!

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

The wood is beautiful. I have too seen some most beautiful objects made from the burls of trees, incredible. Can't imagine what you must have carved on the burl that hangs with the surname on it. Perhaps the inscription of your name. I know you are very talented with etching and sketching on glass, same would apply for wood. Awesome. have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Those splitters sound like they're much more work than hand splitting. I'll stick to handsplitting!

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

No no no. That's like saying it's easier to cut a tree down with an axe than with a chainsaw, since you have to mix gas and oil to put in the chainsaw.

You're saving tons of energy and time using a log splitter. Why? The splitter is splitting stuff for you while you're picking up and stacking. So you can do twice as much in the same amount of time. Or do the same job with one person instead of two. No spouse required to do the picking and stacking.

(Says the girl whose computer is resizing photos automatically for clients while she goofs off on a chicken forum.)

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

But splitting by hand makes the beer taste better afterwards. I'm not sure how that works, but trust me. The same is probably true for cutting a tree with an axe.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

But with the splitter, you can drink beer while it splits.

I am pretty sure that's why riding lawn mowers have cup holders, but push mowers do not.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

and look how many people have been injured in riding lawnmower accidents! Its the cupholders fault.

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Exactly!

Ours has a feature where if you fall off, it stops dead. It's like John Deere is encouraging immoral behaviour.

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Splitters actually take more time in my experience. But energy, no way to beat that savings.

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

We know people who look around trying to 'borrow' a splitter. No one has ever asked to borrow our axe. If you're not big on loaning out your goodies and then not having them when you need them because Neighbour Bob has it, stick to an axe. Better yet, an axe with a broken handle. IT's all yours!

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hubby's shoulder was complaining bitterly over usuing the axe for 10 cords of wood a year. Way harder chopping with an axe, than usuing the wood splitter. You might not notice it now.....but you eventually will. affraid 

Tara..........Guess we will have to do a road trip sometime. Those burls are beautiful. Thanks for the info on them. Smile

bckev

bckev
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I broke down and bought a small electric splitter last year and love it. My shoulders don't ache and my wife and daughter can split wood if I am not home. I have used big gas ones but the electric one is much quieter and not stinky. I highly recommend it. 200 bucks on sale at Cambodian tire.

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Always nice to see so much wood! We only have wood heat. No other option, and the barn is less than partially insulated, so we go through a huge amount every winter.
One day I will require the use of the neighbours 37 ton splitter. I've borrowed it twice, and I think he's used it 2 or more times. It sits in his shop gathering dust lol. We both like splitting by hand apparently.
I hope I'm as old as he is and still splitting by hand, but I somehow doubt it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum