Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Anyone have chickens that didn't molt this year?

+3
ipf
Piet
islandgal99
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I remember last year, I'm sure it was by August, a yard full of chickens that looked like they escaped the plucking machine. This year none of my adult birds have molted. I expected it in the heat waves in July or August, but no piles of feathers like last year. Anyone else have chickens that didn't appear to molt?

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yours will molt later and not be prime for show maybe. If they have not started molt, put them in a cardboard box in the pitch dark for a full day and that will trigger a quick molt.

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

One or two have, but mostly not yet. I think they're starting. . . they sure look ratty.

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Been feathers everywhere for a month here. I think they started earlier this year than normal. Don't like what that may mean thou..........

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Mine are moulting too. The turkey has three tail feathers left.

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

The Turkey (with apologies to Ogden Nash)

The gobble of turkeys
Is pretty quirky.
And when they are moulting
They are pretty revolting.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh boy molting, isn't it fun?  I have had birds molting now for about 1.5 months, the cochins molt out really fast, so fast it seems that one day they look like crap and then about a week later you can see the new feathers, and voila!!  Beauty again.  Now some of the buffs molt fast, so fast, just like the cochins, and then others, I think they have been molting all summer.  Some of mine molt losing only a few feathers for a while, then other molt and look bareish.  Molting is an odd thing.  Back on the coast, we had a white hen, no clue the breed, but she would lose all her feathers pretty much in a day or two and be almost bald, but would be dressed again in very short order.  Molting is a very strange thing.  Gonna show you this old white bird, laid a brown egg and was a most excellent mother.  Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

With beautiful new clothes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love the "makeover" pics Cynthia! !
I think I read that the fast moulters are more desirable because they are back in production faster. I find mine are slower to moult hardly ever see a really naked chicken. I have no desire to force them to moult sooner slthhough I suppose you could select for faster moulters if you wanted to. It must take a lot of nutrients todo a faslt moult.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum