Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Older ewe question

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Older ewe question Empty Older ewe question Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:35 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am picking up some EF ewe lambs, and have been offered two older ones as the owners are downsizing sheep milking - they are supposed to be retired and are working more than they did when they worked!

One older one is 3-4 years old, the other is 5-6 years old. I love the idea of having experienced milking girls to train myself on. And the older one is the best milk producer, produces the best lambs - they are not keeping her as apparently all the younger ones they have kept are related to her now. So if I can get her for a decent price, and so long as she still has teeth, I think it is worth trying to get more lambs out of her. I can't seem to find any maximum age of ewes for breeding/dairy purposes. I have read that a well maintained ewe can produce lambs into their 20's. I think that if when I see her if she has a beautiful large milky udder and I see that her lambs also have beautiful milky udders that it's worth the chance of no lambs. And for this year, space is not an issue, so I can take a little bit of a risk and feed a ewe that may not produce. They will have lots of time to get settled before they are bred. What do you think? How old are your ewes lambing/milking until?

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum