Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Nettle, maybe dead nettle?

+2
ChicoryFarm
coopslave
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Empty Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:02 am

I have heard that some people are immune to nettle stings. I have a bunch of what I think is nettle lining the garage, and I'd like to harvest it if it is, it's so good for you. When I touch it, however, I don't end up stung. Dead nettle, I understand, doesn't sting, but I'd hate for it to be snake root. You know, because it causes death and all.

Has anyone else found they don't get stung by nettles?

2Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Empty Re: Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:29 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you handle nettle right it doesn't sting. From bottom to top I believe. It is when you brush across or down that you get stung. I know I get stung by it!!!!
Don't know the difference between it and snake root so I am not help there.

3Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Empty Re: Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Wed Jul 31, 2013 5:50 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Not sure myself Sweetened but if it is nettle and you haven't tried this one, make Spanikopitas with them. I have a fab recipe if you want it.

4Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Empty Re: Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:18 pm

Farmer Bob

Farmer Bob
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

If you are casually grabbing it in your hands and don't feel even a tingle, then I doubt that it is nettle.

5Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Empty Re: Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:26 pm

appway

appway
Golden Member
Golden Member

can you post a picture of it sweetend?? Nettle is good for you I just cut a bunch and have it drying now and I still need to cut a bunch more
It makes a great hair rinse and a great tea It is a very native Herb
would like to see pics if you have them I will try and get some of ours tomorrow

6Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Empty Re: Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:37 pm

I've heard spanikopita is wonderful with nettle.

I'll take some good pictures tomorrow!

7Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Empty Re: Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:19 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Back on the coast, lots of stinging nettle, plantain works well to rid the sting. I hate it. The chickens did not like it either. Don't touch stinging nettle, note to self. Wanna see pictures, I love pictures! Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

8Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Empty Re: Nettle, maybe dead nettle? Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:39 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Does it have little purple flowers?

We have a plant that looks like nettle, smaller, darker with purple flowers. Slightly prickly but no sting.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum