Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dyslexia and lockdown don't mix

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dyslexia and lockdown don't mix Empty Dyslexia and lockdown don't mix Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:26 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I had it on my calendar. July 19. Lockdown.  Two days from now. I candled my eggs last night (for kicks) and thought wow, those eggs look full.

Went to turn them today, they are peeping. Go back the calendar and wouldn't you know it, lockdown is today.  I know I'm dyslexic, but how do you get a 19 and 16 mixed up...oh, I see it now. And if they are peeping...gack.

And then my stepson calls and he's already at the ferry, so off I go. But I have to get back quick, sterilize and heat up the brooder.  Actually that's to late, I need to just shuffle eggs, have three different hatch dates and two bators running, just shuffle. And put them into old faithful which works as a brooder. The bator they are in has an exposed fan to move the air, and I missed the hardware store for fine hardware cloth to cover it.

Should have told the kid to walk.  Lol. I'm driving him to camp good times in the morning, so it's all good and he's awesome so he won't walk. Mad shuffle of eggs, add water and leave it.

On a good note, I did a dry hatch and the air cells were much better than last, and candling last night yielded lots of kicking and moving, though hard to find a spot to see into...well that's cause they are going to hatch soon. Still early for peeping though, I think. Never had it on day 18 before. I thought those eggs looked full.

http://www.matadorfarm.ca

2Dyslexia and lockdown don't mix Empty Re: Dyslexia and lockdown don't mix Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:41 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

It's not dyslexia, it's called Busy Person Syndrome. Sometimes we just get a little crazy and confused. Good thing the chicks know when to hatch even without the calendar in front of them!

3Dyslexia and lockdown don't mix Empty Re: Dyslexia and lockdown don't mix Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:04 am

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks Uno, and thank goodness the chicks have it all figured out.  Though I'm sure the one egg I hear chirping is early, I guess it's a good think it was chirping, it was the early bird that told me something wasn't right, so I guess thank goodness the chick was early...stupid dyslexia.

Got the kid picked up, eggs all moved, got the backup nursery ready and sanitized AND I should have moved the eggs into that as it has a "peep hole" for peeking at chicks, awesome little viewing window.  But the other one is already full, no more messing about, looks like 24 eggs are going in, well see how many come out.  And now chickens fed, chicks fed, dogs fed, cats fed, greenhouse watered, deck plants watered.  And up to catch the 525 ferry to Vancouver to pick up DH from camp. I told him I had chicks hatching, don't think I told him how many already hatched!  Wink

4Dyslexia and lockdown don't mix Empty Re: Dyslexia and lockdown don't mix Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:10 pm

islandgal99

islandgal99
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yup, definitely messed up day on writing down July 19 instead of July 16 as day to lockdown. I got them moved and locked-down last night with one egg a peeping, and sure enough there is one hatched today with another 5? pipped. They are early though, shouldn't be hatching till atleast tomorrow for the earlybirds, most of my hatches are around day 21 with maybe one early on day 20, not day 19 start for many. Atleast the one who has hatched appears to be all find and no problems with stuck membrane, she's already fluffing up, so I guess I got the humidity up quick enough last night, I added a tray of "baby milk warm" warm water, and fortunately already had the brooder running and warmed up. Next time I will use a calculator or something besides my brain, cause that doesn't appear to work anymore. Atleast they are hatching! Looks like a barnevelder egg that hatched. Yeah.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum