Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Extra Large Blk AM cockerel

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Empty Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

This guy hatched May 31st, making him just a tad over 6 weeks. I cannot believe how HUGE he already is, especially in comparison to his hatch mates. You can see them all beside him in the pics. (Note: not everyone pictured is related)

Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Newcoopnrun2013009

Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Newcoopnrun2013008

Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Newcoopnrun2013007

Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Newcoopnrun2013006

He also has a funny looking pea comb, real thick with big spikes Suspect …(please excuse the jammies Embarassed )

Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Newcoopnrun2013028

I’m not sure whether I should eat him or breed him quite yet! Laughing cyclops  Opinions?

2Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Empty Re: Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:51 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love their big fat fluffy heads!

3Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Empty Re: Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:53 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

And why would his hackle feathers be coming in so fast? It's like his growth is accelerated or something, and I have no idea why...scratch And there is NO mistaking his hatch date. The only birds hatched before him were the BR crosses and 1 lone splash Ameraucana.

It's really weird. What a Face 

LoL me too Sue. Bearded birds are the bestest Razz

4Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Empty Re: Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:18 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Are they from you eggs or someone else's?
It appears to be a 'blade' comb to me and not a pea. If you have bred good pea combs to good pea combs this should not show up. It is usually the result of a cross of single and pea. Notice I used the words 'should' and 'usually'. Happy to talk a little more in a pm instead of posting first if you like.

5Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Empty Re: Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:27 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Makes sense Coop. I expect I’ll be seeing lots of ‘blade' combs in the years ahead as I outcross to a single combed breed. Should be interesting what turns up!

Still don’t understand his size difference though. Guess I’ll just chalk it up to one of life’s great mysteries.  cyclops 

I’ll email you a little later if you don’t mind. Smile I’d love to pick your brain (gently of course!) when you have some time. Wink Thanks!

6Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Empty Re: Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:58 pm

lady leghorn

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Definitely keep him and see how he turns out. He is so much bigger, that he definitely is worth watching grow. cheers 

7Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Empty Re: Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:04 pm

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Email away Flicker, I look forward to it.

8Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Empty Re: Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:52 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

scratch Steroids?? lol!

He sure has some awesome growth rate happening there, whatever the reason. He must have got just the right mix from that outcross for fast and furious growth right from the start. dont you just love these interesting and unexpected developments that come about when doing breeding projects!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

9Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Empty Re: Extra Large Blk AM cockerel Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

You might be on to something there Kathy. Laughing We’ve been joking calling him Sly Stallone… *snicker*  

Oh, and I haven’t actually done any outcrossing of breeds yet. Sorry for my badly written post above. Rereading it, I can see plainly why I shouldn’t multitask on the computer. Haha  No, this boy is ‘pure’ Ameraucana. (Or as pure as a fairly newish breed can be anyway.) I’ve read long time AM breeders still have oddball things pop up in their lines from time to time, so I think this stuff happens. I don’t sweat it. Just comes with the territory.

But the rapid growth thing. THAT part is really strange...Suspect

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum