Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

I swore I would never do this again

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1I swore I would never do this again Empty I swore I would never do this again Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 pm

vic's chicks

and here I am doing it."incubating" I didn't separate my two broody hens who were sharing a nest. We were trying to get a new broody coop ready and they hatched a day earlier than expected. The two mamas are now sharing 6 chicks. The second nest was abandoned, due to hatch four days later. We moved the eggs(still warm ) into an incubator that I had set up because I suspected she wouldn't stay sitting. It is an old turnex. Temp has been consistent at a little over 99.5. I was worried about the humidity(read too many horror stories) so I bought an inexpensive hygrometer. I tried to do the right thing and ended up doing the wrong thing. I was trying to find a post saying what it should be, went online and found a few saying 85 etc on the last three days. Mine was only fifty so I added water until it came up to 58( today is hatch day). I was scared to add anymore so called a person I know who incubates. She informed me that it was a different kind of humidity scale and I now have too much humidity. One has just pipped. I tried to get some of the water out through the hole with some paper towel. Then thought if the layer of water is too thin and it all evaporates then the humidity will drop too low. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2I swore I would never do this again Empty Re: I swore I would never do this again Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:04 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Just make sure the vent holes are open and hope for the best. It should get down to 50% soon enough.

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum