Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Blue Cochins - Ages and stages...

+2
Daisychainsaw
KathyS
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Empty Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:23 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had a long hatching season for Cochins this year starting in early February and finishing in early May. So as a result I've now got quite a range of ages growing out! Here are a few of my favorite Blue Cochins so far this year:

At about 3 weeks old: They still have fuzzy down-heads!

Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Blco3wk_2

Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Blco3wk

And this one is about 6 weeks. A little cockerel, I think.:

Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Blco6wk

Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Blco6wk_2

Pretty pullet at about 3 months:

Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Blco3mo

Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Blco3mo_2

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

2Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Empty Re: Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Those are so pretty! And the cage with the grass and flowers is a nice setting. I laughed at the poses the two in the first pic are posing. They must be tweens, those two, the way they're mugging for the camera. Chickens are so funny!

I think Cochins are so unique. I've never had any, but I've always admired them. Thanks for sharing your pictures.

3Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Empty Re: Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:17 pm

Daisychainsaw

Daisychainsaw

They are sooooo cute! Thanks for posting the pics.

Good thing I have reached my limit of chickens at this stage or I might be on the hunt for some Laughing

4Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Empty Re: Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:50 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

They're so stunning Kathy. Given their beauty and sweet temperament I can see why you love them.

5Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Empty Re: Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:55 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

First off, loved the setup for the photoshoot, got me thinkin' some stuff for when I make photoshoots too of specific chicks. Geeeze, just something about the blues, eh? I have so many blues this year, mostly blues, a few splashes and a mere handful of blacks, very low numbers of blacks. Geeze, something about the blues, be they cochins, orpingtons, and of course, others come in blue too, but seems to me I like the big fluffy birds, Cool Laughing , just like you KathyS.

So, gendering these little wonders are certainly a most interesting thing, now aren't they? First picture, the pair, of course, you probably know, left is pullet right is cockerel. Have you noticed this? If the neck has fluffy fuzzy pictures, as in the right hand chick, those are males? I have.

I find usually by the age of about 4 weeks gender is pretty much certain. although, don't totally believe that about pullets. I have always had ones that I think are pullets, by shape, feather, etc., stay as pullets. And there has certainly been more than once, that I thought that comb and wattle would indicate male, not so. I have found many a pullet that has rather larger comb and wattles than what the pullets of the same age had. Hence NEVER have gone by comb and wattles for gender ascertaining at young ages(same as the buff orpington, they can fool ya too). But as I said, if I see from looking that one looks pullet, it remains a pullet, one that I think might be a cockerel or a pullet, but not certain, usually turns out pullet, ones that CLEARLY are males, (i.e., more down that takes longer to feather out, especially on the neck and less feathering all over the body)and long legs, (females appear to have feathers all over without the bareish spots that still have down, as in how the males feather).

Your chicks look nice, KathyS, I wish that you would have given us more pictures to look at though. I love to see these beautiful shots of the little babes. But thanks for sharing, it was a nice thing to see, have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

6Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Empty Re: Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:30 am

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I must say that my heart belongs to all chickens Buff and Blue. Beautiful birds and I love the attention you have paid to the setting for the photo shoot. It's lovely!

7Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Empty Re: Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:08 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Thanks!
I'd been wanting to get some pics of this year's crop of Cochins and usually prefer to do it outside. But I didn't have a good spot set up so figured it would be easier to bring the outdoors in. Luckily I had just finished mowing so gathered up the clippings and then put in a couple of mini-roses for good measure.
Next photo shoot is for the Buffs - Orpingtons and Cochins!
I love you

Cynthia, I have never made a connection between neck fuzz and gender! What a great observation. I will definitely have to watch these 2 develop so I can follow along with your predictions!

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

8Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Empty Re: Blue Cochins - Ages and stages... Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:09 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Crop of cochins made me chuckle. lol They are lovely Kathy. Smile Can't wait to see more of your beauties.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum