Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Mothering abilities of ducks

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Mothering abilities of ducks Empty Mothering abilities of ducks Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:46 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I am wondering about ducks abilities to mother their young. My Australian Spotted hen sat on 10 eggs and on Thursday/Friday hatched out 7 babies.

Sunday morning I found one dead out in th run by the water dish and one dead inside the house.

That afternoon I went out to find ducklings running everywhere outside the duck pen with mom and dad inside throwing huge fits! Who knew ducklings could fit through 1 inch chicken wire Shocked I collected them all and locked mom and babies in the house part. That evening I went out to check them and move them and mom into a kennel in the barn. One baby was not looking good at all and died a bit later.

Three left. Two not looking so perky. By Monday morning they were gone and I had one left. It seems to still be doing fine.

Are ducks not good parents? I saw her step on the ones that seemed "down" and wondered if that's what happened to them in the first place.

So, for future reference, should I allow her to hatch ducklings? Is this normal? what could have gone wrong so that i have one left out of seven perfect little ducklings? Should I leave dad in with them? He seemed so porous of his little family and so lonely now Crying or Very sad

2Mothering abilities of ducks Empty Re: Mothering abilities of ducks Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:55 pm

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

3Mothering abilities of ducks Empty Re: Mothering abilities of ducks Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:27 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Defiantly going with hardware cloth this time. The pen was one my dad originally built for my son when he got It into his head he wanted to catch a gopher and have it for a pet ( thank goodness he didn't ever catch one!) it had stucco wire on it so when I took it over for birds I overlaid it with the poultry wire. I guess it's going to get a redo again.

Hopefully she learned from her mistakes and does better next time. She's very protective of this one baby.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum