Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Much a-do about weeds

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Much a-do about weeds Empty Much a-do about weeds Thu May 23, 2013 8:01 am

Lambs quarters is prolific in my garden. When I mean prolific I mean I could sell it as a crop if people, other than myself, found value in it. Remarkably, I don't really mind it. I learned you can eat it, that it tastes like spinach (as its part of the same family) and its seeds can be used like a flour. Anyway, these babies are easy to spot and I carefully thin them out to pick a few strong plants I can harvest.

Also self seeding in the garden this year: real spinach! Huzzah, I'll never have to buy spinach seed again. However, I have noted, planted in my 'overwinter garden', some baby plants I don't recognize. Also, I don't remember what I even planted there. There's onions and garlic, by the leaves there's also spinach and some kind of lettuce, and the kale didn't seem to come up. However, almost in rows, are some lovely little plants I can't figure out.

Would you let them grow and try and ID them or rip them out? It's not mallow and its not that weird ivy-type vine that shows up randomly in my garden, but almost like... almost a lettuce, but not really. Hrm.

Anyone else do this? I also found 2 containers of seed that are unmarked *Frown*.

2Much a-do about weeds Empty Re: Much a-do about weeds Thu May 23, 2013 8:15 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I was lazy in the fall and did not pull anything out. The onions are back of course, but I am surprised to see parsnips! How do second year parsnips taste? Woody?

3Much a-do about weeds Empty Re: Much a-do about weeds Thu May 23, 2013 8:18 am

Schipperkesue wrote:I was lazy in the fall and did not pull anything out. The onions are back of course, but I am surprised to see parsnips! How do second year parsnips taste? Woody?

I think, like carrots, they do turn woody, BUT, you'll be able to get seed off them this year.

Last edited by Sweetened on Thu May 23, 2013 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : oi, lrn 2 tipe)

4Much a-do about weeds Empty Re: Much a-do about weeds Thu May 23, 2013 8:39 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Yeah, seeds. I am afraid they didn't go over very well the first time around! Probably why they were still in the ground.

5Much a-do about weeds Empty Re: Much a-do about weeds Thu May 23, 2013 8:41 am

good for livestock fodder!

6Much a-do about weeds Empty Re: Much a-do about weeds Thu May 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

There IS always an upside!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum