Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

building for the future

+2
CynthiaM
rowdyrooster
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1building for the future  Empty building for the future Wed May 22, 2013 7:38 am

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

I decided to build a duplex, not with the approval of my wife. I see the breeder barns Johnny was building and dubbed it and add some of my own touches . I have some pictures for you to look at now that I have it finish.

building for the future  Newduplex001

building for the future  Newduplex003

building for the future  Newduplex004

I made it so with a few screws the center wall can be removed and I can use it for winter storage.

building for the future  Newduplex005

2building for the future  Empty Re: building for the future Wed May 22, 2013 7:52 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh wow, now that is very nice, looks like a little kid's playhouse, job well done.

One thing I would change, and that is just me. I like to have 2 X 4s for roosts, laid flat, that gives more surface area for the chickens to put their feet on and have their feathers to cover the feet to keep feet warm. Don't know your climate there, but in colder climates, it might be a good idea to have a wider surface area so the birds can hunker down and keep feet warm by covering their feet with warm bellies, warm feet make warm bodies. Beautiful job though, you should be proud! Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

3building for the future  Empty Re: building for the future Wed May 22, 2013 8:41 am

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

Yes , in the main house they have 2x4's for roosts. This is just for separation for breeding, they won't be in there for the winter. Weather here runs form +5 to -10 mostly in the winter, so not that cold compared to some of you. We get a lot of warm air from the south with the golf stream coming up it help to keep the ocean warm.

4building for the future  Empty Re: building for the future Wed May 22, 2013 9:14 am

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I like the skylights on the sides of the roof and the divider up the middle so you only need one feeder and waterer!
Great idea...you will have to be quick about filling and replacing them though when you have two breeding groups in there or you might get some pen jumpers Laughing very nice though, I think a carpenter would be the the best vocation for someone who keeps chickens!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

5building for the future  Empty Re: building for the future Wed May 22, 2013 1:11 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

That is a gorgeous bit of handy work. I think the clear roof panels are an excellent idea. Jealous.

6building for the future  Empty Re: building for the future Wed May 22, 2013 1:26 pm

That is SO nice!
When you refill water/feeders, do you bring a full one in with you to quickly place in the open space, or do you have a screen to place in the hole? I'm assuming you fill both outside of the coop, but maybe not?

7building for the future  Empty Re: building for the future Wed May 22, 2013 2:10 pm

rowdyrooster

rowdyrooster

I just let them out in the pen and close the poop door behind them till I am done in side and open it back up when I leave.

8building for the future  Empty Re: building for the future Wed May 22, 2013 9:24 pm

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Very nicely done!

9building for the future  Empty Re: building for the future Thu May 23, 2013 8:58 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Looks great! Smile The skylights are a fantastic idea. I'd love to do something similar in my main coop, but don't think it'd be possible to insulate too.

mirycreek wrote: I think a carpenter would be the the best vocation for someone who keeps chickens!

Totally! Laughing

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum