Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

University of Guelph- enriched corn

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 8:00 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I find it funny that I am more interested in the UofG alumni magazine that Doug gets, than the UofA magazine that I get. Here is a reason why...

This is a great article. I first read it in The Portico... a University of Guelph magazine, but found it online here for you. The improved strain of corn is aimed at feeding chickens to produce eggs high in carotinoids, and may help people with vision problems. I, on the other hand am thinking this corn would really give a boost to the yellow in my cochin and cornish chickens' legs!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 8:02 am

Interesting article. Now, did they -breed- this, or genetically disfigure something to get it (ie gmo); that's unclear to me, and that's what I'm truly interested in in this article.

3University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 8:12 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

They bred it using two existing strains. Argentine Orange Flint Maize and Standard North American Corn. The picture in the magazine looks like both are two unimproved varieties, small cobs with irregular rows. Not the pretty corn we see in the store. The cobs don't have to be pretty if you are feeding the corn to chickens!

4University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 8:12 am

Then this, this I am good with.

5University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 8:24 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened, there is an email address for the person involved in this. Why don't you send them a message? I am sure we would all love to hear the response!

6University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 8:25 am

Send them a message! About what!

7University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 8:30 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

State your concerns. Ask when it will be available for purchase. You said you were truly interested.

8University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 8:41 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Schipperkesue wrote:Sweetened, there is an email address for the person involved in this. Why don't you send them a message?

Like a horse head in their bed?

It's been done.

9University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 8:50 am

Schipperkesue wrote:State your concerns. Ask when it will be available for purchase. You said you were truly interested.

I am interested in the idea, and anyone willing to do things the hard way, instead of starting with plant cancer and some abstract gene from a fish or goat or spider, is commendable. It is highly doubtful, however, that I would grow it in quantities enough that matter. I'm just interested in the science behind it.

Omega enhanced eggs are something I avoid, I also don't work to increase the omega-3 value in my eggs either, as the imbalance of omega's causes issues on their own.

Just interested to see where this goes is all.

10University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 11:35 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I find it hilarious that they bother to do this when they could just feed their chickens some grass. Or better yet, eat a pasture raised duck egg.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

The red-orange yolk here sure is about as high in carotenoids as you get. Why do anything the hard way when nature has already done it for us?

http://countrythyme.ca

11University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 12:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I suspect the corn is not developed for pasture raised poultry. The vast majority of birds are raised inside. And yes, this it not optimal for the bird, but it may be what is necessary to continue to provide meat that people can afford.

I can see the opportunity for a great discussion on pasture raised vs. barn raised chicken. Why don't you start a new thread, Country Thyme?

Personally I find my best leg color comes from birds that have had the chance to dine upon plant eating bugs! The carotenoids are really concentrated in those little guys.

12University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Tue May 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Amen CTF!

13University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Wed May 15, 2013 8:06 am

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I don't have time for a thread right now sue, too busy on the farm.

Suffice to say I will never believe there is any justification for industrial livestock production or helping industrial livestock producers do anything. Also, it is the structure of the socio-economic system that keeps people in poverty and no amount of cheap food will ever feed the poor and hungry, good people sharing their relative wealth do that. "Affordable" food, on this continent at least, is about the people who damn well can afford it but just don't want to.

14University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Wed May 15, 2013 8:56 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Country Thyme Farm wrote:I don't have time for a thread right now sue, too busy on the farm.

Suffice to say I will never believe there is any justification for industrial livestock production or helping industrial livestock producers do anything. Also, it is the structure of the socio-economic system that keeps people in poverty and no amount of cheap food will ever feed the poor and hungry, good people sharing their relative wealth do that. "Affordable" food, on this continent at least, is about the people who damn well can afford it but just don't want to.

Well now, you just started a new thread! Shall I move it over for you?

15University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Wed May 15, 2013 8:58 am

I'm willing to get into this discussion on my break/after work. I have an exponential theory for feeding the world.

16University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Wed May 15, 2013 9:07 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:I'm willing to get into this discussion on my break/after work. I have an exponential theory for feeding the world.

I am interested in hearing ideas! I love the different thoughts people have on subjects. I shall move the topic!

17University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Wed May 15, 2013 9:27 am

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sweetened wrote:I'm willing to get into this discussion on my break/after work. I have an exponential theory for feeding the world.

Soylent Green?

18University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Wed May 15, 2013 9:27 am

Its made from trolls.

19University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Wed May 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Schipperkesue wrote:
Well now, you just started a new thread! Shall I move it over for you?

Bollocks!

Apparently...sorry for hijacking Embarassed

20University of Guelph- enriched corn Empty Re: University of Guelph- enriched corn Wed May 15, 2013 7:47 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

No harm, no fowl (foul). Heehee!

You see...your thoughts have inspired comment!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum