Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chick identification, possible light brahma

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Chick identification, brahma, light?

An incubation with a bunch of buff orpingtons, cochins and an odd chick, no clue what breed, possibly light brahma, probably light brahma, from information imparted to me. I had received hatching eggs of the buff Orpington breed and this one. Surely is not a cochin and light brahma is the only other breed at the breeder’s home that has feather legs. I have raised many, many light brahmas, and have not seen this colour of chick down. But then perhaps different lines have varying colour of chick down. What variety/breed does this chick look like? I am at a loss. Pea comb, very lightly feathered legs, but such dark feathers. Gender yet to be ascertained. Regardless, cannot stay here. The chick will have to go to a new home. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

I don’t doubt what the breeder thought the chick might be when I told him that no cochins had hatched from the few eggs he had given me that were not buff Orpington. But then I do doubt. Sitting on the fence here. He said it must have been light brahma, but really? Light brahma breeders, kindly comment on the feathers.

Chick identification, possible light brahma Chickidentbrahma_zps0fe01824

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

The chick down to me did not look like Light Brahma. They usually look like the Light Sussex chicks I believe. The feather is interesting, I thought with the chick down it looked more Dark Brahma, but you are getting an awful lot of white with the new feathers.
Hopefully someone is more helpful than I have been! Embarassed

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Razz Thanks Coopslave, but thanks, you were no help, smiling that big smile.

I really don't know. The only feather legged birds fellow had was light brahma and cochin. When I got some hatching eggs, he threw six in, said they were cochin, smiling. When the chick hatched, told him about it and he did not remember giving me cochin and thought possibly light brahma. Blah. Who knows, things do get mixed up I know that and I don't feel bad in one little way, but just need to figure out what the litte one is. Guess as it grows I will know. Ya. It does not look like the colour of light brahma. I have raised many, many of that breed and they are totally different than this one. But then, too, I am sure that different lines of breeds would have different looks too. Maybe it will grow up to be light brahma, the gender is even more of a mystery. Can't tell by the wing feathers. Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

This is a couple of pictures of some light Brahma chicks, from back on the coast -- the pullet below, and the cockerel in the next picture. Light brahma can be wing feather sexed, accurately, at a two days old, accurate as can be, smiling....sexed many and it held true

Chick identification, possible light brahma ChickLightBrahmaPullet

Cockerel

Chick identification, possible light brahma ChickLightBrahmaCockeral

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sigh. So that chick is absolutely light brahma, lookin' actually quite pretty. It is a pullet. Not one sign of any male looking wattles or comb, at four weeks old, this would be quite evident in the breed. So. Now what to do with a light brahma pullet. They lay a light brown egg, so can't go in with my flock. Guess I'll have to sell that little girl. Nothing wrong with her, she just doesn't fit Laughing Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum