Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

This promise I make.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 This promise I make. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:18 am

uno

Golden Member
Golden Member
Today I promise to throw out pens that do not please me.

I promise to light those huge, decorative candles I have been given as gifts. I do not like big candles and don't know why people give them to me, but I know even less why I store them. Today, I burn them.

I promise to throw out that pair of Ikeda blue jeans I wore in my 20s. True, I got into them again for a time in my 30s. But that was because life had been so ugly that I fell down and quit eating for 2 months. If staggering stress is what it takes to get me in my Ikeda jeans from the 80s, it's time to toss them out.

I promise to throw out the ugly calendars real estate agents and insurance guys give me. I want the passing days to be marked with beauty, not stock scenery photos.

I promise to throw out short, stubby pencil crayons and those horrid little pencils they give you at golf courses. Also erasers that have become hardened pellets that rip paper.

I promise to throw out sewing patterns for suits jackets and fine, detailed blouses. I don't sew and I don't wear suit jackets or fine detailed blouses. What was I thinking!?

I promise to throw out those things in the back of the pantry that have been there for 11 years called coffee pods. I don't know what they are and they are scaring me.

Ugly vases, ugly, dying houseplants, magazines with no redeeming qualities, goodbye, goodbye, goodbye.

A trip to the thirft store yesterday with three big boxes of stuff felt so good! To top it off as I was lugging it into the thrift store I was accosted by a local crack head quoting poetry for money. It was rabid, fast, made no sense and was accompanied by a look that said the poor young man could not see or think about anything but his next fix. The thrift store ladies told him to go away and quit bothering the customers. Apparently people had been complaining about him. THey told me to be cautious of him. I gave him the only bill in my wallet, $10. I promise to feel compassion for those who make stupid choices and hope if it's ever my kid, someone would take the chance and give her ten bucks.

Today...let more chucking begin! Because today is a promise.

2 Re: This promise I make. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:36 am

coopslave

Golden Member
Golden Member
Sounds like you are going through a cleansing and enjoying every minute of it. Good on you, have fun and feel lighter by the end of it!!

3 Re: This promise I make. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:50 am

Fowler

Golden Member
Golden Member
We've been doing the same.

It was a big help when we finally decided to stop trying to keep stuff for that mystical yard sale we might put on. No longer keeping stuff around on the off chance that I can maybe get a toonie for it some day.

Also putting a lot of scrap wood through the wood stove this winter. I'm afraid I picked up hoarding scrap genetically. Still remember tearing down old buildings was difficult with my Grandfather around, "Keep that! You never know when you might need a board that 3 feet long and rotten at both ends!" lol!

4 Re: This promise I make. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:01 am

Schipperkesue

Golden Member
Golden Member
I reorganized my dog files this new year. What a mess. Now I have one folder for each dog and a big folder for deceased dogs and those placed in new homes. I will walk by the file, open the door, look in and be happy!

5 Re: This promise I make. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:06 am

toybarons

Golden Member
Golden Member
Cheerful Uno Very Happy You go girl! Glad you're feeling good Exclamation

I find the magazines are the hardest to get rid of. I will keep stacks of them. Mags are expensive to start with. Then there is always that article you know you are going to want to reference one day. Reference means having them put into cut boxes standing so I can try and read the spines so I know which one to pull out [like that is going to happen.]

I make it a point these days that after a couple of years, if I don't use it, it must go. Only then when I start weeding through said mags, I start the process over again: I may need that article, so off to the standing box and after a couple of years...

6 Re: This promise I make. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:39 am

Fowler

Golden Member
Golden Member
The internet has allowed me to start letting go of some old resource material. Keep this book and that book on the off chance that I ever need to look something up on that topic. Google takes up much less space.

7 Re: This promise I make. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:50 am

uno

Golden Member
Golden Member
Toybarons, I threw away many, many decorating magazines over the years. It became apparent that I was never going to live the 'photo shoot' life. However I have kept all my Fine Home Building mags and I do reference them. All interesting aticles are marked with a sticky note out the top of the mag. But since my inital purge a few years back, I have been strict about not allowing any more magazines into my home. I do get Small Farm Canada, but feel it is a small committment and pass them along to a friend. But as you say, magazines can take a big chunk of your change and space. I have only kept those that truly contain good infor.

Fowler, about hoardng wood. Pfft. Hubby is the hoarder here and he works in a SAWMILL! You would not believe the wood, new and unused, that is stacked around here! Clear cedar siding, cedar decking, stud material, and beams starting at 6x6 and going up. 6x6, 6x8, 8x8, 8x10, 10x10, 10x12, 12x12...there are some massive pieces of wood tucked in the bush! Have no idea what it will be used for, I think a spectacular bonfire one day, visilble from space. But when he needed some monster boards to use as a ramp to drive the bulldozer up onto a flatbed, he had the boards. (THAT was a scary moment in 'Stupid Ideas We Have Had!')

8 Re: This promise I make. on Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:16 pm

Fowler

Golden Member
Golden Member
Glad I don't have that kind of access or I'd have piles of beams too. Sitting here thinking about what I could make and they're not even mine. What a Face

One great thing was when I started burning the louvered bifold doors. Been slowly replacing the closet doors with solid panels. Has there ever been a WORSE idea than those louvered dust catchers that everyone had to have in the 70's? I remember my Mom being soooo happy when Dad installed ours. Of course she was happy. I was the one assigned to dust the stupid things. Then, joy of joys, our current house had them too. Well I've been changing them out and I just finished turning the first set into heat. Bwa ha ha!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum