Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Poultry Show Secrets by Suzette Ellington

+3
Butterboy
coopslave
mirycreek
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

I thought this was a good read in the August Newsletter of the Dominique Club of America
Suzette graciously allowed me to reprint it on this forum.
I love the bit about what to say to your friends and family after you return from a show!
Although she talks specifically about Dominiques I think this could apply to lots of us.
An excerpt from the article “Poultry Show Secrets” by Suzette Ellington

What they don’t tell you

Don’t be surprised if you are the only one showing Dominiques.

If your bird looks nice and clean, washing prior to showing is not a must. Sometimes washing can do more harm than good.

It takes approximately 2 months for most feathers to grow back in.

Sometimes the birds on Champion Row were fed the same feed that you give every day, no special additives or treatment.

VetRx is used to shine up the legs and also makes the combs and wattles nice and red. It is available at farm supply stores or online. It’s like Vicks Vapo-Rub for chickens. Apply before placing in cage.

Show sheen. You’ll hear folks talk about it. Some use what’s called pink oil moisturizer you can pick it up at WalMart in the hair care section. I don’t like the smell but it makes a great shine. Try any sheen product on a bird you don’t plan on showing before to see how it turns out. Dominiques usually don’t need shine products, though.

If it’s your first show, there’s a good chance no one will talk to you. Hopefully you can make a friend or two and ask questions. Don’t just go to one show. Go the next year and the year after that. These folks have seen their share of one time showmen, if you want to connect with folks it’s important to keep going.

As soon as the judging is over, you’ll know how you did. Typically this is in the morning for a one day show. If you won Best of Breed with your Dominique Large Fowl, you will still be in the running for Best American. Bantam placing is different. Dominiques are in a larger class, RCCL or Rose Comb Clean Legged. There is no grand reveal at the end of judging. You just have to keep an eye on your coop tag and the tags of the competition. Once another bird has placed Champion or Reserve Champion American or RCCL the competition is over for you. For a one day show, you have received this news and it’s not even lunch time. You must wait until after the awards and coop out (normally 4 p.m.) before packing up the birds and going home.
It is a full day event and if you came by yourself, it can be boring. Unless you are a junior or there is a special club meet, there will be no ribbons or awards, even if you won best of breed.

Your family/friends and coworkers will not understand the point of showing. Personally I get the “oh you didn’t win and that was a waste of time and money” lecture after every show. Think of showing as a fishing trip where you didn’t catch anything. You still had a good time and maybe learned something new. Again, even if you had a miserable time, give it another chance.

Last, a warning. There is a good chance you will be introduced to a new breed and maybe even come home with something new. Don’t bring too much cash because this will happen. On the other hand, you’ll need cash for food and drink and also there are often vendors selling poultry supplies.

Happy Showing!

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good post, thanks.

Butterboy

Butterboy

that was wonderful!

Now you wont be the only one showing the doms!

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

Great post. I sure can relate to practically every point Suzette Ellington made as I have had it happen to myself.

Thanks for sharring it Very Happy

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Glad you guys liked it too.

Butterboy wrote:that was wonderful!

Now you wont be the only one showing the doms!

I look forward to many friendly competitions in the future!

Echo 1

Echo 1
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Great post! I loved showing horses and I'm pretty sure I will love going with our daughter when her birds show!

chicksdeluxe

chicksdeluxe
New Here

Great post thank you...

Don't know if I will show the birds...hum!!! I would like to but with the kids and the long road I have to do...but I want to give it a try. Maybe not in Saskatchewan though hahaha But for sure, I would be all alonnnnnnne Razz

Good post Mirycreek thanks Wink

http://www.chicksdeluxe.com

chicksdeluxe

chicksdeluxe
New Here

Regarding showing birds...what do you do when you come back home? Do you quarantine them? Do you re wash them?

Isa

http://www.chicksdeluxe.com

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

No bath here...usually if you pretreated them before the show for lice and mites they will still be protected. Quarantine for sure for 1-2 months if you can do it before letting them back in your flock.
Best of luck!

nuthatch333

nuthatch333
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh so very true, great post.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum