Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

African Gander Wanted in BC

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1African Gander Wanted in BC Empty African Gander Wanted in BC Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:27 am

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I'm looking for another African Gander. Preferably of Holderread stock. If anyone has, or will have one in the future please let me know.

2African Gander Wanted in BC Empty Re: African Gander Wanted in BC Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:16 am

Omega Blue Farms

Omega Blue Farms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

did you find a gander? I have a buff affrican hatched by holderread. He's got amazing body type. Wasn't planning to sell, but he is just backup for us and if it helps out your breeding season, we could work something out.

http://www.OmegaBlueFarms.ca

3African Gander Wanted in BC Empty Re: African Gander Wanted in BC Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:48 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Hi Wayne, no I haven't located a gander yet. I'll send you a PM.

4African Gander Wanted in BC Empty Re: African Gander Wanted in BC Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:35 am

Omega Blue Farms

Omega Blue Farms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Hello Curt. I have not studied geese genetics in enough detail to be certain (book learned but not verified in real life breeding) and therefore I'll post my answer to your question in public so that if my understanding is incorrect, someone can chime in and correct.

You asked if one could produce showable offspring by crossing a Buff African male with a Brown African female.

It's my understanding that the only difference between the two varieties is a single gene, the buff gene. Therefore the cross should produce buff females and brown males (which carry the buff gene). The Males would be showable as Browns and the females showable as Buffs. However, the APA only recognizes the Browns.

I would love to have offspring from this male as he has nice orange feet. Most of my Browns have feet that are closer to pink than orange and the standard calls for orange feet. I see an opportunity where we could help each other improve the variety, especially if your female is the one that hatched on our farm.

http://www.OmegaBlueFarms.ca

5African Gander Wanted in BC Empty Re: African Gander Wanted in BC Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:43 pm

Hillbilly

Hillbilly
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes, the female originated from your farm. I'm guessing you already have an idea of what you would like.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum