Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Different Christmas

+9
coopslave
Fowler
KlassyChic
Grandma Art
debbiej
karona
authenticfarm
toybarons
uno
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51Different Christmas - Page 3 Empty Re: Different Christmas Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:03 am

I guesss it needs to be said .........we celebrate Christmas for the whole reason for the season ,it was never meant to be what it has become and for those who object to this so be it ,it started as such and we continue to celebrate it as such ! The gifts are a part of it ,a token of sorts to folllow in the footsteps of the whole story .Most holidays have become nothing more then a selfish means to gain profits by and seen as only a long weekend ! How sad indeed ,i think that if you don't understand the reason or fail to believe in it then maybe just let it slide and don't follow in it .My thoughts

52Different Christmas - Page 3 Empty Re: Different Christmas Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:36 am

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prairie Dog, I agree with you. The gifts should be tokens, but they seem to have become THE WHOLE POINT. Corporations spend millions on advertising to lure us stupified shoppers into their stores to part with the hours of our life. (because the money you spend represents hours of your life, unless you have won the lottery)

In the interest of keeping the 'reason for the season' pure, people have to step up and put the brakes on a run-away train. I have seen it in my husband. His brother got him a gift worth X dollars and now Hubby is in a panic to find a gift of equal or greater value lest he be judged a cheapy by not returning the favour in kind. Gift giving becomes an obligatory pissing match to meet or beat what you were given. That is joyful? Hah! It is stressful and financially dangerous. Besides, adult men should have passed beyond this stupid gift giving stage many, many, many years ago. Neither of them needs a damn thing! Time to dial it back to buying adult siblings a box of chocolates, a pound of wonderful coffee or a bottle of favorite booze and calling it good. THey do this because they have always done it. THINK, PEOPLE, THINK! It is easier to stagger on unchanged than to say, wait a minute, this is stupid and I am not going to play this game anymore. Christmas by the blindly thoughtless.

A 'good' Christmas cannot be the sole responsibility of a single person in the house and as we've heard, for many, that burden is thrust upon them by an expectant crowd/family who has high expectations and low participation. The 'reason for the season' is hard to get close to when you are run ragged with all the social and family demands and expectations. Saying no, putting your foot down, stopping the madness results in negative reactions from people who LOVE Christmas, but have never organized, produced or cleaned up behind a Christmas.

It should be a quiet, gentle time. Baby born in fresh hay, time. Stars in brilliant, clear sky, wise men feeling a call in their souls, time. For me it is not possible to have a three ring circus going on AND reflect on an historic event that some of us may or may not believe in. Either way, it is a tradition of this country and I think it bears pondering. It is hard to ponder these things when the season and its demands make you want to take the turkey out of the oven so you can stick your own head in there!

53Different Christmas - Page 3 Empty Re: Different Christmas Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:24 pm

Fowler

Fowler
Golden Member
Golden Member

Good points. I've noticed the marketers have been expanding their targeting in recent years. The Halloween displays are getting crazy where we only carve the Jack-o-lantern (and I doubt we'll even do that when the youngest gets a bit older). And those little Easter trees now????? But a metal tree so you can buy little things to hang on it? At least the Christmas tree actually has a tradition of being involved in the reason for the season. It wasn't brought in by someone looking to sell evergreens.

54Different Christmas - Page 3 Empty Re: Different Christmas Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:38 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

There was an interesting story on Global news the other day. People were leaving comments on the Shoppers Drugmart webpage [maybe it was their FB page? Can't really remember.] Many comments complained that they didn't like hearing Christmas music this early in the season. Some comments said they felt it was disrespectful to vets and felt a more appropriate time to start playing "Deck the Halls" would be after Remembrance Day. So Shoppers Drugmart pulled the plug on the Christmas music and in a statement said that they will begin playing it after Novemember 11.

I know as much as I can love Christmas, when in the mood, I find that one of the things that has really annoyed me the most of the season is it starting way too soon. Like when stores like Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart break out the Christmas decorations right alongside the Halloween ones is way too much, too soon.

I think more stores should be like Shoppers Drugmart and wait till after Remembrance Day.

55Different Christmas - Page 3 Empty Re: Different Christmas Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:10 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

toybarons wrote:I know as much as I can love Christmas, when in the mood, I find that one of the things that has really annoyed me the most of the season is it starting way too soon. Like when stores like Canadian Tire and Wal-Mart break out the Christmas decorations right alongside the Halloween ones is way too much, too soon
I think more stores should be like Shoppers Drugmart and wait till after Remembrance Day.

I couldn't agree more, Toybarons. I do enjoy Christmas music, but NOT at the beginning of November!! By the time the 25th of December rolls around, I've had it to here with fa lalalala la la la la. I think that is awesome that Shoppers is holding off till the 12th, although that is still too soon, in my opinion.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

56Different Christmas - Page 3 Empty Re: Different Christmas Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:14 am

And now that we are closer to Christmas, I hope that some at least have given thought to action and will not succumb to the purchase of multiple gifts worth too much money and plastic decorations from Wal Mart that mean nothing. May the peace of the season be with all.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum