Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Narragansett Tom

+3
Schipperkesue
Jonny Anvil
lazyfarmer
7 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Narragansett Tom - Page 2 Empty Re: Narragansett Tom Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:59 am

lazyfarmer

Thanks Sue they look just like mine. I will take one tom, should know Thursday when I will be by your place. Will let you know. Thanks

27Narragansett Tom - Page 2 Empty Re: Narragansett Tom Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:33 am

HigginsRAT

Golden Member
Golden Member

Last edited by HigginsRAT on Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total

http://www.wolven.ca/higgins/ratranch/

28Narragansett Tom - Page 2 Empty Re: Narragansett Tom Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:16 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

HigginsRAT wrote:Heel low:

The colour pattern for Nari is suppose to be gender linked. I say "suppose to" because I also see some plus or minus modifiers expressed in the phenotypes of "both" genders which may or may not explain the different light to dark variances and indeed, the pattern crispness expressed in the feathers of some of these kinds of turkeys.

This said, a Narragansett female is Nari or she is not. She queen cannot be split like a male king may be. A male Narragansett may be pure for Nari (ng/ng) or Split (Ng"+"/ng). The split male has me thinking this is where an impure Nari boy is showing the pattern in the darker, more Bronzy form. It has to be an impure MALE turkey, never a female as a female Narragansett may only EVER be ng/-.

Sorta like the golden legged chicken girls I have spoken of. A golden girl is yellow legged or she is not yellow legged since being a female bird, she has only one "spot" for this allele.

http://www.porterturkeys.com/narragansett.htm

I see some Naris I consider far far too "light" and wonder if other colour genetics might be rearing their heads...a possible crossing with Royal Palms would assist in explaining the smaller stature seen in some Nari strains. Porter mentions his Nari toms are 33 pounds and his hens are 18 pounds and the poults are almost "indistinguishable from the bronze." SOP RP's are only 22#'s and 12#'s when matured. Royal Palm has the Nari allele in it. Pure breeding RP's being Black Winged Bronze, Palm and Narragansett (b1/b1, cg/cg, & ng/ng king or ng/- queen ).

If the poults you are producing from suspect "Nari" breedings are lighter/whiter than what wild type Bronze poults look like, I would suspect that there may be Royal Palm colour genetics tainting your Narragansett line. Suspect

Hope this helps.

Doggone & Chicken UP!

Tara Lee Higgins
Higgins Rat Ranch Conservation Farm, Alberta
^~~^ Miss yah Makes (Dec 7, 1995–Feb 4, 2011) Miss yah HyBlade (Mar 23, 2000-Aug 7, 2012) ^~~^

Hey Tara,

Thank you for your input,
If I understand correctly. When the Narragansett poults are at a young age they should be hard to tell apart from that of a Bronze poult? Up until what age would this be considered?
I did have some difficulty telling them apart when they were all first feathered out, but now they are over 6months it's obvious.

I would like some imput on the lines we have here, and perhaps some suggestions to improve our lines.

Our Original Tom was from Vickie Coleman, MACK was his name. If I remember correctly he won Champion Turkey at the show where we acquired him, Tsamis paired him up with some hens, I can't recall whom they came from but they were from a forum member, a nice couple from the south east.

Last year we had shown our Nag boy at the Red Deer show, and he came in Reserve Champion, was the direct son of MACK. Country Thyme has that Nag tom now. That's him is is avatar pic.
When that tom was Judged, I never did get a chance to ask any questions, as I was busy at the time.

Would it be too much to ask if we could perhaps open a discussion on the Nags under a new thread and go over our findings, I would appreciate it as I want to continue to work with this breed and the Ridleys we have.

29Narragansett Tom - Page 2 Empty Re: Narragansett Tom Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:51 am

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

These Narraganset were in question because there was a possibility Jonny had sent me cross eggs. This was not a problem at the time since I just wanted to eat them. Now their fortunes have turned.

30Narragansett Tom - Page 2 Empty Re: Narragansett Tom Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:56 am

Jonny Anvil

Jonny Anvil
Admin

One Ridley Bronze tom, mated with a few of our Nag hens, towards the end of our egg collecting. Was not our intentions but he obviously got in there and done the duty, as I caught him in the act. We stopped collecting after that. But i have a sneaky suspicion that was not his first visit to the Nag Gals.

After that we let both breeds intermingle for the rest of the year.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum