Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

When to vaccinate

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1When to vaccinate Empty When to vaccinate Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Decided to start a new post on vaccinations. For those who do vaccinate, when do you vaccinate for Mareks, Coccidiosis (spray form), and ILT?

Thanks.

2When to vaccinate Empty Re: When to vaccinate Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:50 pm

cbotkin

cbotkin

I can't say for Coccidiosis, but for Mareks, it needs to be within 24 hours of hatching. The recommendation for ILT, using LT-IVAX, is at 4 weeks of age with a booster at 10 weeks, and once a year thereafter. I am doing all my breeder birds this year for ILT, and it is the first time for most, so I will be doing it this weekend and then again 6 weeks following.

I have previously vaccinated for ILT about 10 years ago, but I no longer have any of those birds. It really is easy to do.

Hope this helps,
Clayton

http://www.cbotkin.ca

3When to vaccinate Empty Re: When to vaccinate Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:35 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hey Clayton or anyone else familiar with the ILT vaccine:

Is it okay to vaccinate with the ILT at any age, as long as the youngest flock is no younger than 4 weeks? I'll have a number of different flocks at different ages with the oldest being one year old when I do them all at once.

I understand then I do them all 6 weeks later.

Also, I would be doing them the first week of July and I have some meat birds arriving July 18th (about 2 weeks later) but they won't be coming in contact with the recently vaccinated layers. Could that be a problem?

Thanks for your help.

4When to vaccinate Empty Re: When to vaccinate Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:22 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

The key with vaccinating is to protect them before they can come in contact with the disease. So wil ILT the closer you do them to 4 weeks the better protection they are going to have. Once a bird has had contact with ILT it will no longer be protected by the vaccine.
Although some people say that vaccinating adult birds is still a good idea, one if they never had the virus before you are going to protect them and two even if they do have the virus it will help to reduce shedding of it. Of course I don't have a lot of evidence to back this up as I have not heard it directly from the vet.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5When to vaccinate Empty Re: When to vaccinate Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:32 am

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Okay, that's great Jayme. I know Clayton is doing his all at once and then putting them in 'lock down' - no birds coming in or leaving for a certain period of time and so I was just following his lead waiting till all my birds are hatched this year before I treat them. Do you know why they would have to go into lock down or can I vaccinate birds I have now, then 4 week old chicks at the end of April and as I said, last batch first week of June, or should I wait and do them all at once?

6When to vaccinate Empty Re: When to vaccinate Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:35 pm

cbotkin

cbotkin

Hi,

So, today every pheasant and chicken over 4 weeks old was given their first dose of LT-IVAX. It was incredibly easy, and I am disappointed I was so worried about doing it. I was done all of my birds within an hour, including the pheasants, which are not easy to catch. The stress was minimal, although I think for the booster I will do as a good freind suggested and do them all near dusk, when they are going to roost for the night. I will be administering the booster in 6 weeks. This timing works out well for our club show in June as the shedding stage will be over for the show.

So, Chicory, from this point on, I will be doing all the young birds when they hit 4 weeks old, as the breeders will now be protected. I may hold some birds over for a week to make use of the vaccine, expecially as my first hatches were only 3 birds for 2 weeks, so I may do all 6 next week, then weekly following that. I feel I do not need to worry now with the entire site being vaccinated, and I NEVER wear my barn clothes to anyone else's facility or off our farm, so the ongoing vaccination plan should be fairly safe. I will also stop well in advance of any shows so as there will be no chance of shedding at the show.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Clayton

7When to vaccinate Empty Re: When to vaccinate Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:04 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

From what I understood there was no shedding time of this vaccine, that birds were safe to other birds right away it was more that the vaccinated birds needed time to build up immunity?

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

8When to vaccinate Empty Re: When to vaccinate Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:29 am

cbotkin

cbotkin

We were told at a recent forum our club hosted that the TCO (TCO- Tissue Culture Origin) type vaccine is still a live virus and can be shed when the birds come under periods of extreme stress. The vet said it is definately much more safe than the In-Ovum developed vaccines, but that, as with any live virus vaccination, it can be shed. Having heard this, I still want to be very careful when exhibiting. Our club actually has a rule regarding showng vaccinated birds in all our club shows to ensure the safety of the others in the showroom as well. This rul has been in place since the mid-90's.

Clayton

9When to vaccinate Empty Re: When to vaccinate Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:58 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

That's great info. Thanks you guys. Placed my order today for all 3 vaccines.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum