Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Price of feed

+11
liz
cbrookkelly
mirycreek
DoubleSSRanch
BriarwoodPoultry
Prairie Chick
lanaire-ranching
Hidden River
Amy
KathyS
chickeesmom
15 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Price of feed Empty Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:34 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Has everyone noticed how the price of feed is rising?
Picked up a few things yesterday,
Peavey Mart
chick starter 25kg 12.99
feed rite Lacombe 17% layer ration 20kg 12.93
38% grower 20.33
last tote bag of feed was 321.00

Last edited by chickeesmom on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed the size of the starter bag)

2Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:44 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is a good thing we really love our chickens! Every time the feed prices go up I tell myself I am cutting back on my laying hens. The amount of eggs I sell doesn't cover the cost of the feed. Unfortunately I have a really hard time parting with my good old layer gals, so I guess I'll keep buying feed. Wink

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:58 am

Amy

Amy
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Chick starter 25kg is $16.99
Non med chick starter 25kgs is $13.99
Layer diet 17% is 25kg $14.25
Layer diet 38% 25kg $24.25

4Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:34 am

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

It is the price of wheat. My feed is made for me by a mill close by and the price went up since the last time and when I look at the invoice it is the wheat that is on the rise. With everything so wet and crops going in late I imagine it will keep climbing, so stock up. Exclamation

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

5Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:20 pm

Coop feeds in Calgary have not increased the price for a while there layers feed is 11.25 per bag. But check your prices on other things that you may buy there. I purchased the largest galvanized feeder that they have a couple of months ago for 34.00 so a month ago I decided to get a few more and I never got the receipt for a few weeks and when I did I noticed that they charged me 50.00 for each feeder. I am going to be talking to them about that.

6Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:48 pm

I still buy from a local feed supplier and even he has increased his prices , but It is still a good deal .$33.00 oer 110KG of scratch, $39.00 for layer, grower, starter, so I think I can live with that so far .Will be looking into a way of getting my supply for the winter by late fall

7Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:34 pm

lanaire-ranching

lanaire-ranching
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

17.50 for a bag of grower No can't afford extra fun things like chickens if the prices keep up like this!!!

8Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:09 pm

Prairie Chick

Prairie Chick
Golden Member
Golden Member

I pay $11.25 for 16% grower, I don't feed layer. The girl at the feed store said the only difference is oyster shells so I have a dish of shells in the coop.

9Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:36 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Wow, is that 38% protein?! I don't even know if we can get that here...

We only feed an 18% breeder/free range ration.. but we have to offer oyster shells also.

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

10Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:06 pm

DoubleSSRanch

DoubleSSRanch
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

The 38% protien layer IS NOT to be fed on its own. it is a concentrated feed, that you mix with grains like wheat, oats and soy beans etc to make a complete layer ration. That is how I make feed. I buy all the necissary ingredients, and it costs me about $750 for 3 tons of feed. That feeds 300 layers for a little over 3 months.

http://www.doublessranch.webs.com

11Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:11 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Oh!!! Ok thanks!

Yeah, I don't think we can buy that here..

Thanks for the clarification Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

12Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:17 pm

Hats off to you for makeing your own feed , more people should get into it and the saveings would be more then worth it

13Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:08 pm

mirycreek

mirycreek
Golden Member
Golden Member

Layer (16%) at Co-op in Maple Creek is $13/bag right now.

http://www.feathers-farm.webs.com

14Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:20 am

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I just bought feed yesterday at our little feed mill in Bashaw. They are very reasonable compared to what I'm hearing: Chick starter - 9.50
Chick grower - 9.00
The grower is an excellent mix they make up themselves. Its got wheat, barley, peas, and other grains all coarsly ground. the birds all love it. I haven't bought the layer mix lately, but it's another excellent product they make. they always use some peas or other legumes for protein.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

15Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:08 am

cbrookkelly

cbrookkelly
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

These are the small bags of 60 lbs from Philip Maloff feeds delivered to SOuth Country Feeds in Baynes Lake which is a bout 45 min from me..

Layer $13.50
Duck $13.00
Turkey grower $15.50
Broiler/Chick grower $14.50

Just learned I can order totes from there and they will load them for me...when I get a price I will post. Certainly will be a lot less cheers

16Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Sat May 21, 2011 4:44 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Masterfeeds Red Deer May 20 Bags are 25kg

Layer with shell 10.25
Hen Scratch 13.15
Med. Turkey Grower 11.80

17Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Sat May 21, 2011 8:17 am

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Prairie Chick wrote:I pay $11.25 for 16% grower, I don't feed layer. The girl at the feed store said the only difference is oyster shells so I have a dish of shells in the coop.

Really?! I've been feeding 16% layer diet as my flocks main ration, but after spending $15.99 on the last bag (Co-op Agri in MJ) I'm more than ready to switch to grower if it's the same thing! I already keep a tuna can full of oyster shells/crushed egg shells in the coop that lasts the girls about a week. Never had a problem with their egg shells yet.

MJ- Coop Layer, 25kg -$15.99

Swift - Chick Starter (med) 25kg- $11.50 and Turkey starter (med)25kg- $12.50

18Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Sat May 21, 2011 8:30 am

DLC

After the starter, most of my birds get grain I picked up of the ground.I spend a lot of time scrouging, but around here there is a lot of Bin rings set up for storage and the bottom is waste to them, good feed for me. For a couple of years my son worked at a terminal and all the spillage came here instead of in a slough bottom. Screenings from seed cleaning is usually available cheap or free. Also A lot of farmers will gladly allow you to sweep/clean out there bins for the leftover grain. It saves them having to do it.

19Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Sat May 21, 2011 8:47 am

TysExotics

I've actually had a drop in feed prices.. Seemed very weird to me. But usually when I pick up a tote of Chick Starter (1000kg) Its usually anywhere from $350 - $421, and the last tote I got, about 2 weeks ago was only $301.00 and that had the $30 tote included in it. So the actual feed was only like $271. I was happy.

http://www.prairieexotics.com

20Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:09 am

liz

liz
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Picked up feed Nov 5 at Red Deer Masterfeeds
17% Layer with oyster shell 25kg bag 12.80
Hen scratch 25 kg bag. 15.50

21Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:07 am

authenticfarm

authenticfarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

If you have enough chickens to justify it, buying grain direct from the farmer will save you bundle ...

Spot pricing on grain today ...
Feed wheat $7.53/bushel (60 lbs)
Oats $2.76/bushel (34 lbs)
Barley $5.20/bushel (48 lbs)

http://www.partridgechanteclers.com

22Price of feed Empty Re: Price of feed Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:16 am

I bought organic wheat and oats with about 5% alfalfa seeds from a local farmer for 8 cents a pound. Now, if I could only find an organic source of protein...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum