Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

You got off lucky

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1You got off lucky Empty You got off lucky Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:47 pm

Randee7880

Randee7880
New Here

I have had eight leghorns chicks that I though was safe. Delivered five weeks from the hatchery, we started letting them out into the fence in yard, where the coop is. We have no chicken run. Nothing happen. We made sure they were in for the night. This went on for a few weeks. No sign of a predatory animal anywhere. One day we went out for an hour or two. Came back to fine only three chick left. Hiding in the corner, of the coop. No, sign of were the five went to. My partner and I could not figure it out. There was not any evidence left behind, until one day he saw the raven flying in and trying to grab another chick. If it was not for the fact that they ran into this dog house with a small opening. The raven who my partner said had a large wing span could not or will not go into a small space. Next year before we get any more chick, we are building a chicken run. Right now the last three is too big to be carried off.

2You got off lucky Empty Re: You got off lucky Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:10 pm

uno

uno
Golden Member
Golden Member

Ravens, hawks, owls, crows, coyotes, racoons, bears and others I haven't even seen yet. Chickens seem to be on everyone's 'most wanted' list. Most wanted for dinner! It's hard enough keeping birds safe inside a pen but even harder with no run. You'll feel a little bit better when you get a fenced run built. Fenced side AND top too! Good luck.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum