Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have you ever sprayed....

+3
Bowker Acres
steve
chickeesmom
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Have you ever sprayed.... Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:50 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Have you ever sprayed OFF on a dandelion??
Within 1/2 hour they are brown and crispy!!
My BIL even tried the OFF for children and the same thing.
We are now trying Muskol to see if it has the same reacion.
Give it a try and let us know what happens.

2Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:06 pm

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh wow! Very cool, Viv! Smile I'll have to try that on all mine!

3Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:13 pm

Bowker Acres

Bowker Acres
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Yes, it will kill your grass too if you are not careful. We have a rule at the lake that OFF must be applied on the Deck as there were nasty brown spots on the lawn wherever it was used.

4Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Please be aware that the active ingredient in Off is DEET, which is an acetylcholinesterase inhibitor. All animals have acetylcholinesterase, it is an enzyme in our nervous systems. It kills moquitoes. It also kills bees, beetles, butterflies, etc. and exposes you and your pets to a toxin that causes irreversible damage to your nervous system.

Now, on its own it's not likely to ever cause long term damage to you, but acetylcholinesterase inhibition is one of the most popular modes of action in insecticides today, meaning you are probably being exposed in several other ways as well. I'm not trying to scare anyone, but I think this is important information to know about; is killing dandelions easily really worth releasing this sort of toxin into the environment?

http://countrythyme.ca

5Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:04 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Also, you can get the same effect with vinegar at 10% concentration.

6Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:05 pm

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well exactly, my point was, 'and we put this crap on ourselves and our kids'. No more. I was just shocked that it would kill a plant that fast.

7Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:51 pm

Country Thyme Farm

Country Thyme Farm
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Oh, I didn't realize that was your point...in that case, ya holy crap!

8Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:52 am

auntieevil

auntieevil
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

DEET is definitely deadly.
We've been trying to find alternatives, and have used Neem (best but smells like Neem), catnip, eucalyptus, lemon eucalyptus, Listerine, Avon SSS, and a plethora of other concoctions. It seems our suicidally hungry mosquitoes and biting flies think most of them are simply marinades. Even DEET is barely worth using. Since it makes me gag, I don't bother. We've also loaded up on B vitamins to no avail.
If anyone has something that does work, I'd love to hear it Very Happy
Can't wait to see the faces of the camp staff when Brennan uses his Emu oil sun lotion and Neem bug repellent. We've all been so brainwashed to lather ourselves with chemicals, anything natural seems "weird"....

9Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:00 am

chickeesmom

chickeesmom
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Well I wonder if it is a myth to use a downy sheet in your back pocket? Haven't tried it yet, what ever I do they don't really like me a whole lot, but have a few in the family they devour and then those that get bit, swell and itch etc...
If anyone has a safe remedy that works would love to hear from you.

10Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:10 am

heda gobbler

heda gobbler
Golden Member
Golden Member

I've heard Avon's Skin So Soft is good too. But I can't be bothered to use anything.

But in the end I've found that being almost eaten alive as an infant has given me more tolerance than most (parents, expose your infants to nature!). My English cousin was visiting last week and every bite came up in a huge pink welt. He cleaned the whole kitchen just trying not to scratch and I doused him with Calamine Lotion, which he said did help.

http://www.tatlayokofold.com

11Have you ever sprayed.... Empty Re: Have you ever sprayed.... Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:39 pm

dooversue

I know feeding garlic to dogs & horses seems to rduce the bugging of the bugs... Could try odorless garlic capsules?!?
Garlic is a 'blood thinner' so never take it within 2-3 weeks of surgery. It can assist with problems with cholesterol & high blood pressure, but can interfere with lactobacillus/proper digestion... Ie the point is - if you have health issues do some research &/or talk to a natural path type doctor before self dosing : )
Brewers Yeast (the B vits you mentioned) are also used by a lot of ppl on their dogs/horses... Not sure if it matters which type or sources....

When I was active in SAR with my dog - you'ld 'push bush' for hours & the black flies could be horrendous depending on season - some of the GSAR team used deer that was so strong it ate holes in their nylon jackets!!!! I figured if it ate holes in material - I didn't want to slather it on 'my largest organ'!!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum