Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux

+12
poplar girl
Sebas49
ipf
appway
Dan Smith
CynthiaM
Prairie Chick
Piet
fuzzylittlefriend
coopslave
BriarwoodPoultry
Schipperkesue
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:34 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Sue it is illeagal to ship Frontline spray to Canada and if it is pulled in customs it will be confiscated. It is not an approved product here and lacks the french writing etc. As a side note it is not avilable for sale in California as not approved there, don't know why. I used Ivomec and Ectiban 25 for years with good results as long as I stuck to my program of 3 times a year everyone. To me mite control is all about never letting them get out of hand and if the birds are checked randomly every week while doing chores, they can be kept in check.

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

27Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:15 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

Sue, I understand your frustration about not knowing about some of these products. At some my seminars and the displays that we have done I have talked about the product Frontline, but was really hesitate to really endorse it because it is not legal to have in Canada. I know you can sneak it into Canada when you are driving back from the US, but if you can't readily by it in Canada should we be promoting it? If you can get it by all means use it and I can help you with what I know about it.

There's another product that I used for a few years and is very very good called Adam's Mist, again it is not available in Canada. Only is the USA. Another product I believe it is called Black Leaf, it is deadly if used improperly. It is again illegal it even have it unless you are a Vet. It is the very best product but it is not even sold in the USA at shows but some people know where to get it. Not me. You need to get to know some of the Cockers, they have all the good products for their Pit Games. Pit Games are always the best conditioned birds. Those boys have all the secrets.

http://www.c-rducks.com

28Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:41 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:I wonder why more people are not using Ectiban 25 product. It is for spraying milking parlours, stables, barn, diluted of course, to control flies of some varieties, it can be diluted to a different lesser strength for a spray on for the poultry. It evidently is a "safe" product with no withdrawal. If they use it in milking parlours, wouldn't you think it would be a pretty safe product too. The higher dilution amount can be sprayed on the chickens, they say spray from below and I certainly know why. This is what I have sprayed on my chickens that had the visible northern mite. This product is designed for the northern mite on poultry and is residual, meaning, it stays around, probably for quite some time. I am not collecting any more eggs for hatching, so not really worrying about fertility, but doubt it affects that or it would be an indication on the product label I would think. It is for use on poultry.....

do not even bother to use eprinex for the northern fowl mite. Trust me 100%. It does not work....period. Maybe for lice, but not the northern fowl mite. if you think it has worked, well, maybe you just did not have as much of an issue of this pest as you thought you did Shocked

Have a most awesome night and day tomorrow, CynthiaM.

Tried Ectiban 25. Found the results not to my likeing. Followed the directions for mixing to spray birds directly and found it didn't kill all the mites. Recalibrated the mixture to be 2% stronger and still, not all mites killed.
Even when reading the product literature it states that it does not have a 100% kill rate. Problem in my opinion is that Ectiban 25 does not have an insect binder like Piperonyl Butoxide in it which would better the kill rate.

Also it is very expensive. I bought mine at UFA a couple of months ago and it was just over $100 with tax. Waste of money in my opinion.

29Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:04 pm

Piet

Piet
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

@ Rico,
I would be interested in frontline, email me if you wish or phone. Also, do you find it affects fertility on your bantams or not? If it affect fertility, maybe if sprayed under the wing on the bare skin instead of the vent, would that work better?
Piet

http://pvgflemishgiants.tripod.com/

30Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Sebas49

Sebas49

Piet,

I didn't notice any fertility problem but I have talked to breeders who noticed fertility problem for a few weeks. I will contact you later.

http://www.c-rducks.com

31Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:01 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Pretty confusing eh? Sure would like to get to the bottom of it. Find it very, very confusing that products can be approved in Canada and European countries but not in the USA. Some products in the USA are approved there but not here in Canada. Go figure. Pretty confusing and rather annoying if you ask me. What is a person to do, begin to perform illegal activities? Many people in the states use a Canadian and European approved product called oxalic acid to bleach the wood in their bee boxes. It is not illegal to bleach the wood in a bee colony, but illegal to vapourize it in the colony to destroy the varroa mite. Go figure....feeling a little grumpy about how hard it is to "just" have a product that is good and works wells and is not approved for use in Canada but is in the United States. Blah! Do have a great night, and a good day tomorrow, CynthiaM.

32Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:06 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

You can order it, mailed to your door on eBay.ca. The price is good and there was no trouble getting it. There are many, many sellers willing to ship it to you.

33Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:21 pm

toybarons

toybarons
Golden Member
Golden Member

CynthiaM wrote:Pretty confusing eh? Sure would like to get to the bottom of it. Find it very, very confusing that products can be approved in Canada and European countries but not in the USA. Some products in the USA are approved there but not here in Canada. Go figure. Pretty confusing and rather annoying if you ask me. What is a person to do, begin to perform illegal activities? Many people in the states use a Canadian and European approved product called oxalic acid to bleach the wood in their bee boxes. It is not illegal to bleach the wood in a bee colony, but illegal to vapourize it in the colony to destroy the varroa mite. Go figure....feeling a little grumpy about how hard it is to "just" have a product that is good and works wells and is not approved for use in Canada but is in the United States. Blah! Do have a great night, and a good day tomorrow, CynthiaM.

I don't find it confusing. Instead I find it VERY frustrating!!! It is my understanding that when it comes to poultry, it is the issue of safe withdrawl for both eggs and meat which is the reason most products are not approved here. Which is weird because why is it the USA, Australia, or the UK they seem to be able to approve products with safe withdrawl times.

As for the illegal activities, I haven't a problem with that. My birds are dear to me and I won't apoligize for bringing in a product to help them.

34Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:22 pm

viczoe

viczoe
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Folks I was not trying to dump water on your party, I was just stating the facts. If you can find ways to get the product you are looking for have at it. But is it wise to be promoting it all over the internet about ways and means. Just my thoughts,

Heather

http://www.triple-h.ca

35Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:12 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

True 'nuff. Here's an idea. If you have some important info to share regarding a health problem, or any other, and are concerned about sharing your info publicly with regards to legal ramifications or perhaps other reasons, you could send a PM or an email. Many people have sent me PMs when they didn't want their info public and it worked very nicely.

36Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:37 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

Rico, am interested too.

37Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:45 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh totally agree with what Heather said, the internet is not a very private place, and its permanent, those internet bots, spiders, whatever you call them, the things that grab information and store it, have everything imaginable stored...have a most awesome day, CynthiaM.

38Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Tue May 07, 2013 1:34 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bump

39Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:52 am

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Just thought I would bump an old thread that Sue had made about parasite control. Interesting to look back and see what we were all using and up to. I have had ivomec pour on for cattle in place for my chickens for some time now. It works. .5 cc on the back of the neck, base area. No mites here in a good long time. Frontline is wonderful too, but a little difficult to obtain. Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

40Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:29 am

bigrock

bigrock
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I am looking into a product called Pyganic. It is approved for use on chickens by the ORFRA (SP?) Organic Regulations....
You can spray it in the house, on the chickens what ever. Asking for literature from the company and will share what i get back

41Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:42 pm

Bob G

Okay everyone as an ex cocker I will tell you about the black leaf that Rico has mentioned in an above post. Trade name is Black Leaf 40it is nicotine sulphate, banned in Canada .No mites or lice will live on your birds with this product!! I will now tell you it can kill your birds if it touches the skin of your chickens. You must put this product on the feathers just above the skin on the neck. I have a recipe that I will share that makes it easier to handle. YOU must make this outside!!! You will need 1lb Petroleum jelly, 2oz Black leaf 40,1lb Sevin powder. I first soften the jelly in hot water bath in its container .Now dump it into a 2lb coffee can , take it down liquid form, stir in 2 oz Black Leaf 40 now slowly stir in 1 lb Sevin powder. Let the mixture cool down, it will return to a solid state . Use a q tip when putting it on the feathers .A piece half the size of a dime works for at least 6 months.

42Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:44 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bob G wrote:Okay everyone as an ex cocker I will tell you about the black leaf that Rico has mentioned in an above post. Trade name is Black Leaf 40it is nicotine sulphate, banned in Canada .No mites or lice will live on your birds with this product!! I will now tell you it can kill your birds if it touches the skin of your chickens. You must put this product on the feathers just above the skin on the neck. I have a recipe that I  will share that makes it easier to handle.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              YOU must make this outside!!!    You will need  1lb Petroleum jelly, 2oz Black leaf 40,1lb Sevin powder. I  first  soften the jelly in hot water bath in its container .Now  dump it into a 2lb coffee can , take it down liquid form, stir in 2 oz Black Leaf 40 now slowly stir in 1 lb Sevin  powder. Let the mixture  cool down, it will return to a solid state . Use a q tip  when putting it on the feathers .A piece  half the size of a dime works for at least 6 months.        

Really, ohmyyorka!!!! Why on earth would anyone EVER want to use such a product, this scares me half to death, smiling. Not in my lifetime nor the next, I would well imagine that the chook would even STINK, right? No? Anyways, other things that seem less obnoxious and easier to handle...could not even begin to imagine to use a product that must be made in the the great outdoors. I am far too lazy for that, and far too sensitive to the scent of not nice. Must be an absolutely excellent product though. Gack, now nightmares for surely as I lay my head to rest soon, smiling as I say this. Have a most awesome night, day to follow, CynthiaM.

43Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux - Page 2 Empty Re: Northern Fowl Mite... Part deux Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:46 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Bob G wrote:Okay everyone as an ex cocker I will tell you about the black leaf that Rico has mentioned in an above post. Trade name is Black Leaf 40it is nicotine sulphate, banned in Canada .No mites or lice will live on your birds with this product!! I will now tell you it can kill your birds if it touches the skin of your chickens. You must put this product on the feathers just above the skin on the neck. I have a recipe that I  will share that makes it easier to handle.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              YOU must make this outside!!!    You will need  1lb Petroleum jelly, 2oz Black leaf 40,1lb Sevin powder. I  first  soften the jelly in hot water bath in its container .Now  dump it into a 2lb coffee can , take it down liquid form, stir in 2 oz Black Leaf 40 now slowly stir in 1 lb Sevin  powder. Let the mixture  cool down, it will return to a solid state . Use a q tip  when putting it on the feathers .A piece  half the size of a dime works for at least 6 months.        

Really, ohmyyorka!!!! Why on earth would anyone EVER want to use such a product, this scares me half to death, smiling. Not in my lifetime nor the next, I would well imagine that the chook would even STINK, right? No? Anyways, other things that seem less obnoxious and easier to handle...could not even begin to imagine to use a product that must be made in the the great outdoors. I am far too lazy for that, and far too sensitive to the scent of not nice. Must be an absolutely excellent product though. Gack, now nightmares for surely as I lay my head to rest soon, smiling as I say this. Have a most awesome night, day to follow, CynthiaM.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum