Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are they moulting

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Are they moulting Empty Are they moulting Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:16 pm

vic's chicks

There are a lot more feathers on the ground and the floor of the coop in the last week or so. Mostly barnevelders and lots of big long ones. One barney has no long tail feathers.. Egg production is down. Could it be they are moulting? We have never experienced this before. Our birds are just over a year old.

2Are they moulting Empty Re: Are they moulting Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:58 pm

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

This would be an unusual time for chickens to moult. I would be more inclined to think they are losing feathers from breeding or fighting at this time of year.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

3Are they moulting Empty Re: Are they moulting Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:49 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Or.....could be something lacking in their diet......most likely protein. What are you feeding them?

4Are they moulting Empty Re: Are they moulting Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:37 pm

Schipperkesue

Schipperkesue
Golden Member
Golden Member

I had some moulting silkies and houdans last month.

5Are they moulting Empty Re: Are they moulting Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:39 pm

Susan

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My birds are moulting right now. They had access to the greenhouse all winter and seem to need a break.

6Are they moulting Empty Re: Are they moulting Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:53 pm

vic's chicks

I am feeding them organic lay mash and they are free ranging. We just added on to the coop. All that sawing and banging and changing their roost around may have stressed them out. Can stress cause it? I have not noticed any fighting . There was alittle too much young rooster attention. One of the roos went to a new home a few days ago and the one that is left doesn't seem overly active.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum