Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Roo or pullet? What to do?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Roo or pullet? What to do? Empty Roo or pullet? What to do? Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:04 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

We have chicks that will be 7 weeks old on Wednesday and we have put them (9 of them) in a small chicken tractor to free range and get some air during the day. This morning a chick (black copper maran?) was grabbing one of the little light sussex chicks by the comb, what little comb that she has. I am not sure if this black one is a roo or a pullet. I know that they are young but does anyone have any ideas?

Roo or pullet? What to do? Image6

Roo or pullet? What to do? Image3

Roo or pullet? What to do? Image4

Roo or pullet? What to do? Image5

Roo or pullet? What to do? Image2

Roo or pullet? What to do? Image7

Any ideas? Roo? Pullet? Or whatever 7 week old females are called.

2Roo or pullet? What to do? Empty Re: Roo or pullet? What to do? Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:06 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

The color of that chick is blue Smile It's a boy Smile

http://briarwoodpoultry.weebly.com

3Roo or pullet? What to do? Empty Re: Roo or pullet? What to do? Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:06 pm

fuzzylittlefriend

fuzzylittlefriend
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Boy!

http://pauluzzifamilypoultry.webs.com/

4Roo or pullet? What to do? Empty roo? Yay! Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:07 pm

cuckoomama

cuckoomama
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Wow, it's a boy...yay! cheers If he is the dad (when he grows up) breeding with Cuckoo Marans...what will I have? Is that a breed?

5Roo or pullet? What to do? Empty Re: Roo or pullet? What to do? Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It would still be marans, but I don't think it will make a specific color, but I bet they will be super pretty!!! Very Happy

6Roo or pullet? What to do? Empty Re: Roo or pullet? What to do? Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:21 am

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

What you'd get from that cross would be sex-linked chicks. Barred boys and solid colour girls.

7Roo or pullet? What to do? Empty Re: Roo or pullet? What to do? Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:08 am

coopslave

coopslave
Golden Member
Golden Member

ipf wrote:What you'd get from that cross would be sex-linked chicks. Barred boys and solid colour girls.

Some of them would be blue too. Barred and nonbarred. Very Happy

Although with the Copper Marans, which are basically gold birchen (I think they have some Ar too) would you still get the sex linkage with an ER bird. Don't have time today to get the books out, maybe someone else knows the answer.

8Roo or pullet? What to do? Empty Re: Roo or pullet? What to do? Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:09 pm

BriarwoodPoultry

BriarwoodPoultry
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

coopslave wrote:
ipf wrote:What you'd get from that cross would be sex-linked chicks. Barred boys and solid colour girls.

Some of them would be blue too. Barred and nonbarred. Very Happy

Although with the Copper Marans, which are basically gold birchen (I think they have some Ar too) would you still get the sex linkage with an ER bird. Don't have time today to get the books out, maybe someone else knows the answer.

And suddenly, I'd like to get my hands on a few cuckoo marans... Darn!

9Roo or pullet? What to do? Empty Re: Roo or pullet? What to do? Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:33 pm

ipf

Addicted Member
Addicted Member

My understanding (and observation) is that the B locus operates independently - if a bird carries a B allele (or 2) it's barred; if it doesn't, it isn't.

Actually one of my nighbours traded one of my young BC Marans roos for a couple of older cuckoo marans hens for exactly that purpose (sex-linked chicks), and it worked.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum