Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Another Sanctioned Show in AB!!! Millarville's 105th Fair Aug 18

+5
SherylVick
Mel
Hidden River
KathyS
k.r.l
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

105th Annual Priddis Millarville Fair will now be holding a Sanctioned APA Show! Judged by APA Judge Rico Sebastianelli on August 18, 2012

AND A FULL DAY WITH THE FAMOUS MILLARVILLE FARMERS' MARKET TOO!!
8:30 A.M. TO 4:30 P.M.

"The Priddis & Millarville Fair, more than a century-old, is one of the last, great, traditional, old-time Agricultural Fairs in Canada.

Founded in 1907 and held every year since, the Fair today is a wondrous extravaganza for kids in particular, with a Kid's World, a petting zoo, big horses, small horses, hayrides, roping competitions and ribbons awarded in junior events ranging from photography to baking to 4-H. The day is a big one for adults as well, including a multitude of competition ribbons and a parade, not to mention a full day integrated with the famous Millarville Farmers' Market.

You see, coming out to the Fair is is only half the fun you COULD have. The other half lies in participating in the Fair, putting your best crafts, baking, grains and grasses and animals up for those all-important winning ribbons that are keepsakes forever.

CLICK ON THE FAIR BOOK IMAGE BELOW TO VIEW ALL THE EXCITING CATEGORIES IN 2012"

Info from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

This will be a great one day fun Show for everyone from beginners to old pros. I have attended this fair a few times and enjoy the old fashion charm this fair embodies! Hope to see many of you guys there.[b]

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

I love the idea of a 1 day show! So much easier to manage than a 3 day one. Not sure yet if I'll make it there, but great to know about it.

http://www.hawthornhillpoultry.com

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

I agree Kathy I like the idea as well. We went as spectators a couple years back and it was such a fun fair. A rooster crowing contest and everything. Smile
Our summer is so busy already but I sure would love to go as a spectator again if we can fit it in.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

Mel

Fantastic that this has come about! Just really bad timing....

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Here are some photos from when I have been at the fair in previous years...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
One of the amazing floral arrangements

The poultry area (sorry it is a horrible photo)

this image if from the fairs website

SherylVick

I think I'm going to try to make it to this one. I think it would be good fun. It will be my first time showing. So... (Poultry) older male is 1 year old or older? Same with hens... Older female is 1 year old or older??

http://www.thechickentown.ca

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yeah SherylVick they consider pullets and cockerels to be under a year and hens and roosters to be over a year.
This is a great show. It is very good starter show!
Plan to see you there!

SherylVick

lol I know what a pullet / hen and roo/ cock is. But I was reading the entry form and all it said was 1) old male 2) old female 3)young male 4) young female. So if I understand you right 1) is a year and older (and so on)? Thank you K.R.L., And thank you again for taking the time to meet me with the buff eggs Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.thechickentown.ca

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yeah the fair book is kind of strangely setup.
Old bird in any show is over a year.
Young bird is under a year.
No problem! Hope you get a good hatch on them!

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I'm really looking forward to it!! It's such a
cool little country fair. Theres always lots to
look at and do there! Also Looking forward to seeing
All the different breeds of chickens, and visiting with
My chicken friends! Very Happy what's every one bring? I'm
Bringing some faverolles, silkies, Muscovys, and blue
Slate turkeys!!

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Deadline for the Fair is ]August 1st[...
So if you want to get some entries in do it quickly.

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I hope everyone has a really wonderful time at the fair. Steve I hope you will take some pictures and share them? This one is just too far away during a very busy summer for me to attend.

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I sure will take pictures. Very Happy lots of them!! Lol
Oh and I'm doing my entrees today, entering 9 birds!

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

WOW, i ended up entering 15 birds!! Very Happy

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Congratulations to All the Canadian Heritage Breed and forum members on some Big wins at the Millarville APA Show at their Fair.
Coyote Acres ~ Patric Lyster took Champion Large Fowl with a White Chantecler, Steve ~ Steven Vincent took Reserve Champion Large Fowl with a Salmon Faverolles pullet! There were over 300 birds at the show! Plus there were way more wins that I would like people to share with us.

Also thanks to Rico for doing a great job judging all these birds!

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

That is great!!
I know Liz, Patrick, Steve and Kyle were there, what other CHB members were there??? did they win?
How many birds did you enter?
i bet you entered at least 100 your self kyle LOl

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

There was quite a few CHB and forum people there.
KathyS, Marsha Small & her mom Lynn and her sons, The Chickie Vickie crew, Country Thyme Farms, Liz , Patric Lyster, Steven, John Monclair ( Granite Quarry Farms), Rico and Casey of C R Ducks ( judging and clerking) and I am sure I am still missing a few.

Kathy S won Best Asiatic with a Blue Cochin Cockerel and Reserve English with a Buff Orpington Pullet.
Marsha Small won Best English with a Buff Orpington.
Patric Lyster won Best American and Champion Large Fowl with a White Plymouth Rock Female
Steven won Best and Res Continental, and Reserve large Fowl with a Salmon Faverolle Pullet
Country Thyme Farm won Best and Res Heavy Duck with Silver Appleyards
Best Turkey went to Steven Vincent
Show Champion went to Allan Lakusta with a Goose
Clayton Botkin took Res Plymouth Rock with a Barred Hen

Sorry I am sure I am forgetting many other wins... (this is off the top of my head)

Oh and Triple J I actually only entered 7 birds in the show! But I was happy my hens came home with a few ribbons!
Maybe Steven could post some of his pictures.

Last edited by k.r.l on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

steve

steve
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

~i sure can post pictures! Very Happy i had a ball at millerville yesterday!! it is one very cool old time fair!

sky shot
Country Thyme Farm won Best and Res Heavy Duck with Silver Appleyards
Rico judging
Country Thyme Farm won with they're D'uccle Rooster
some of the grains entered in the show
rooster crowing contest
and Kathy S and her blue Cochin

Last edited by steve on Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

poplar girl

poplar girl
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Sounds like everyone there had a great time and Congratts to those who brought home some ribbons!

I was thinking of everyone enjoying the show and fair this weekend wishing I were there. Thanks for posting some results and pictures Kyle and Steve for those of us who could only live vicariously this time around.

triplejfarms

triplejfarms
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

congrats everyone looks like a nice event!

http://www.conjuringcreekboardingkennels.com/farm.html

Sebas49

Sebas49

Kyle, great information on the show. One correction, Champion American and Champion Large was a White Plymouth Pullet. I don't know who own it. I think Patric brought back on his trip.

http://www.c-rducks.com

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

It was such a fun event on a beautiful but hot day! sunny Loved all the old-fashioned demonstrations and competitions!
KRL - thanks for posting some results - I ran out of time at the end to go around and see who all got ribbons. How did you do with your Speckled Sussex and the beautiful bantams you brought?

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

Congrats everyone on your wins. I sure wish we could have come. Sounds like the members of the CHB and a few others made the poultry area much busier than in the past. cheers

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

k.r.l

k.r.l
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

It was a great show! I think being that it was a APA sanctioned show made up for the increase in entries. There was some nice birds exhibited at the fair!

Kathy thanks for asking. My Speckled Sussex hens took Best and Res Sussex and my bantam Belgian Bearded d'Uccle hens took Best of Breed, 2nd place and 4th. I was disappointed that my Buff Chantecler hens were the only 2 representing Buff Chanteclers.

KathyS

KathyS
Golden Member
Golden Member

Better late than never! A couple more photos from the Millarville Show:

Judge Rico Sebastianelli and assistants

KRL, Country Thyme and Steve

The one horse-power ice cream maker!