Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Missing bill

+4
CynthiaM
Swamp Hen
ChicoryFarm
DCChick
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Missing bill Empty Missing bill Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:37 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

I just walked in the door from work and have been informed that somehow the top of my aussie spotted drakes bill has bee ripped totally off. I haven't looked, I can't right now, I just need to come down from work. I know it's not likely that he can live like this, but I need to know for sure befire I do anything to him. I am so entirely sad. My he just started laying eggs - three in total and they all froze, so there's not even a chance of a baby from him Sad I loved that littl guy so much, he was so full of personality Sad Sad Sad

2Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:33 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

DC that is unbelievably awful. I don't have any experience or advice to offer you. Do you have any idea how this could have happened? I'm so sorry.

3Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Swamp Hen

Swamp Hen

If its any consolation, I've met a drake with the same condition. Its not pretty, but he seems to do okay. Your'se might make it, depending on really, how tough he is. Shock and infection, in that order, would be your biggest enemys if you do decide to try saving him.

4Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:10 pm

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh my lawd, that sounds just awful, what on earth has happened, and I am surprised that there has not been more responses to this plight you are asking help for. Gads, wish I had something to say that sounds encouraging, but I think with that part of the face missing, not sure what the chances are of anything good coming of this. perhaps there will be others that could cause some help. Still, I am wishing you some happiness, something, there must be something....CynthiaM. Think of good things. You said that you are coming down from work, sounds like that might be a very stressful thing too, sigh....wishing you strength to deal with whatever comes what may.

5Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:09 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

DC, maybe consider changing the title. When I read it I thought it meant you were 'longing' for someone named bill.....You might get more attention, like 'HELP, duck bill torn off'

6Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:16 pm

abpride

Don’t get to fast to put him down.

I would watch for infection. Treat if needed.
But ducks shovel their food so he should be able to eat.
Make sure it is a wide deep dish and keep it as full as you can.
He will scoop it up and down.

I had a Impy hen that lost her top beak while in transit…..she did fine!

7Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Depending on the damage.. I'm kind of wondering....

Commercial chicken farms often clip off the top beak of a chicken so it can drink from a hampster waterer. I'm not certain what the anatomy is as a duck (nor am I suggesting it would be humane, I just -don't- know if it would or wouldn't heal well) but would it be possible to get this healed up? He might become the perverbial "Ugly duckling"? Your call, and like I said I'm not trying to be inhumane about any of it.

8Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:23 pm

DCChick

DCChick
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

Well, after assessing the damage, we decided he was more than likely suffering. The entire top part of his bill, you could see his tongue. I don't deal with ending my animals lives, hubby does, but he just couldn't do little Duck-duck in, so we took him to a vet and had it done. It kind of made me mad, they quoted $27 on the phone so we said we'd make it there by 5:30 when they close. Traffic worked against us and it was 5:34 when we got there. They were going to charge us $175 for after hours. That was all I could take and there were a few tears. They quickly changed their minds and charged what they said.

9Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:33 pm

Hidden River

Hidden River
Golden Member
Golden Member

DC that is so sad to hear, but glad the vet did the right thing and helped you put him down for the quoted price.
And if you need another drake let me know (I think these were your spotted's correct?) I might be able to help you out.

http://www.hiddenriverranch.weebly.com

10Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:57 pm

*Hug*

11Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:49 pm

Blue Hill Farm

Blue Hill Farm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Sad So sorry DC.

12Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:04 pm

ChicoryFarm

ChicoryFarm
Golden Member
Golden Member

Comfort His spirit is free now.

13Missing bill Empty Re: Missing bill Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:51 pm

SucellusFarms

SucellusFarms
Full Time Member
Full Time Member

How terrible. I think you did the best thing for him....

http://www.sucellusfarms.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum