Western Canada Poultry Swap
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Western Canada Poultry Swap

Forum dedicated to the buying and selling of quality heritage poultry in Western Canada.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Organic chicken feed withouf wheat or barley

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

I've recently had someone inquire about what ingredients to use to make organic chicken feed without using wheat or barley as this individual has celiac's disease and cannot eat or have any contact with these grains. I'm doing some google searching on her behalf but just wondering if anyone here may have any suggestions.

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Hmmmm, that is a good question. But I think the bigger and better question would be, once the birds had ingested wheat and barley, would that transfer to the eggs and still make the person allergic. That would be my query. The food is synthesized by the birds, but does that stuff that makes individuals allergic transfer through into the egg. You have a quest now to find out two things. And I would find out about both, the grains without wheat and barley and if chickens were fed wheat and barley, would the eggs be bad for a person that is celiac.....I would be interested to know too, just cause it is an interesting thing to know. Post your findings on whatever you find out, we all need to learn. Have a most wonderful day, CynthiaM

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

CynthiaM wrote: But I think the bigger and better question would be, once the birds had ingested wheat and barley, would that transfer to the eggs and still make the person allergic. day,CynthiaM

YEs what the chicken eats is tranfered to the egg. Too much fish in the diet can affect the taste of egs. Onion in the diet will too . Thats why I am feeding my own mix that doesn't have soy in it. There is a farm in Iowa that sells soy free eggs and chickens and they have had the eggs testeed for soy and there is none because of the feed

Rasilon

Rasilon
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Rasilon wrote:
CynthiaM wrote: But I think the bigger and better question would be, once the birds had ingested wheat and barley, would that transfer to the eggs and still make the person allergic. day,CynthiaM

YEs what the chicken eats is tranfered to the egg. Too much fish in the diet can affect the taste of egs. Onion in the diet will too . Thats why I am feeding my own mix that doesn't have soy in it. There is a farm in Iowa that sells soy free eggs and chickens and they have had the eggs testeed for soy and there is none because of the feed

grassfedtraditions
com
Put in the dots. OMega eggs are produced by feeding the chickens thigns high in omega 3. You know the saying "you are what you eat"

CynthiaM

CynthiaM
Golden Member
Golden Member

Oh ya, I know about all that stuff. My query was: is there something in wheat and barley that may be "not there" after it has been processed. The ingredient that causes celiacs to be allergic to the wheat and barley products. For sure, we are what we eat, I was just wondering about this aspect of what actually is the celiac person allergic to. thanks for helping to clarify things. Have a wonderful and great day, CynthiaM.

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Thanks for the replies - both very interesting points. I know it is the gluten in the wheat and barley that causes the severe reactions in people with celiac disease. Also, just handling feed with gluten in it can be a problem. I shall continue searching and in the mean time and checking back for any further input. I'll let you know what I come up with as well.

gubi

Corn or oats?

'lilfarm

'lilfarm

People with celiac disease cannot eat wheat or barley because they contain the protein gluten. All eggs are naturally gluten-free.
http://www.internethealthlibrary.com/DietandNutrition/gluten.htm

I don' think it matters if the chicken eats wheat or barley because the gluten protein would not be transferred direct from gut to egg. It will be digested and metabolized and broken down by the digestive process (or pooped out). I think of it this way, if I eat gluten and get pregnant, the gluten protein will not be transferred directly into my reproductive tract and be incorporated into the developing embryo.

happychicks

happychicks
Addicted Member
Addicted Member

Yes, I see what you are all saying. Since gluten is a type of protein that is only contained in some types of grain, it wouldn't be transferred to the egg. Egg protein, being a different type of protein, should be perfectly safe for her to eat. Makes sense to me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum